The Department of Student Health and Counseling (SHC) at SUNY Geneseo has received Accreditation as a MEDICAL HOME. A MEDICAL HOME is student-centered, comprehensive, team-based, accessible, and quality focused. Allow us to be part of your health care team. We need your detailed health history, recent physical exam, and immunization records in order to coordinate with your health care providers to offer you the best medical care. Student Health and Counseling, your "MEDICAL HOME Away From Home."
Important Health Notice from the Medical Director
It has come to our attention that this week, the Geneseo Campus Community is experiencing an increase in cases of viral gastroenteritis, most likely caused by Norovirus. The usual Norovirus presentation is nausea and vomiting combined with initial fever/chills and followed by diarrhea. Abdominal cramps are also common, especially before episodes of vomiting and diarrhea.
Norovirus appears annually on our campus, particularly after times of student travel such as spring break. The illness tends to be rapid in onset and also resolves quickly, usually in 3-4 days. The most important aspects of management are:
- fluid intake, rest, and controlling fevers with Acetaminophen (Tylenol).
- Gradual return to a normal diet is usually expected within a week.
- It is recommended that individuals seek medical attention if nausea and vomiting do not resolve in twelve to twenty-four hours, and if abdominal pain is predominant, which is unusual in an infectious gastroenteritis.
- Please call Student Health Services (245-5736) for advice if you have questions about your symptoms.
- HAND WASHING for a minimum of TWENTY seconds with soap and warm water is the single MOST IMPORTANT action you can take to prevent this and other contagious illnesses.
Steven A. Radi, M.D.
Medical Director/Interim Director Student Health and Counseling
Missed/late arrival appointments will be charged $25.00 fee to your student account.
Cancel your appointment at least 2 hours ahead of time by phone or via https://myhealth.geneseo.edu.
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m*
Closed every Friday 9:00 am to 10:00 am * Except during holidays/breaks
585-245-5736, 585-245-5744 F
585-245-5716, 585-245-5071 F
Campus Comm. Resource Nurse (CCRN)