The use of volunteers, including student research volunteer, must comply the the Use of Volunteers on Campus Policy and an Application for Volunteer Services must be completed and submitted to Anne Baldwin, Director of Sponsored Research.
Application for Volunteer Services (See instructions below)
College policy requires that students who wish to volunteer their time conducting research or other scholarly projects with faculty members during the summer be officially appointed as volunteers of the College. The volunteer appointment creates an official relationship between the College and the student during the summer months (outside of academic coursework or employment), and provides for insurance coverage.
This requirement DOES apply to:
This requirement DOES NOT apply to:
Instructions for Volunteer Appointments:
1. The faculty member and student should complete the Application for Volunteer Services form
2. The "Authorized Appointment Period" should cover all dates on which the student may volunteer research efforts. For the purpose of these appointments, "summer" begins on Monday, May 16th and ends on August 25th.
2. The faculty member should sign as "Department Supervisor" and the student signs under "Volunteer Authorization"
3. The completed form should be sent to Anne Baldwin, Office of Sponsored Research, who will keep a log of summer research appointments
4. Appointments will then be forwarded to the Provost for her approval and then submitted to Human Resources.
5. Human Resources will provide final approval and contact the student volunteer for an oath of office and ID card (as necessary)
Please note that students are not subject to background checks.