Department of Dance:
Application and Audition Information
What do I have to do to enter the Department of Dance?
- Complete a qualifying audition as an applicant to the Minor or Concentration in Dance:
- Apply for admission to SUNY College at Geneseo following standard procedures established by the State University of New York (your High School guidance counselor can provide you with the necessary forms and instructions, or you can see the Geneseo admissions web page ). This applies to all prospective students.
- Decisions for admission to the College in one of those majors or minors will be based on high school academic records, results of college entrance examinations, and results of Department of Dance auditions.
When should I audition?
- Dance auditions for admission in Fall 2014 will be held Friday, November 1, 2013 and Friday, March 7, 2014 (9:30am to 12:00pm).
- It is in your best interests to become familiar with the campuses and programs of all schools you are considering. On your campus trip, you can arrange to observe Dance classes, or interviews, or attend Dance or Theatre productions, in the Office of Admission and other departments of the College, and a campus tour.
Why do I need to apply?
- The purposes of the interview/audition process are to assess whether your background is appropriate and sufficient for the program of study and to assess your potential to successfully complete the program.
What is an audition for the Geneseo Department of Dance like?
- The Geneseo faculty, fully understanding of audition anxieties, makes every attempt to make the experience as positive and friendly as possible. Indeed, we are eager for you to do your very best.
Dance Minor or Concentration
- Audition must demonstrate proficiency at the 200-level in two techniques, chosen from ballet, modern or jazz.
- Dance auditions for admission in Fall 2013 will be held Friday, November 1, 2013 and Friday, March 7, 2014 (9:30am to 12:00pm).
- Arrive by 9:00am to complete an audition form and warm-up.
- Provide two 3x5 photo of self (in leotard and tights) to attach to audition form.
- Profile First Arabesque Position
- Captures you in movement
- Bring a Resumé to attach to the audition form.
- Bring ballet and jazz shoes, and be prepared to dance in bare feet.
- Download additional audition information here.
- If you can not attend the audition dates but wish to audition for the dance program please contact Lori Morsch (585) 245-5841 or email@example.com
- The audition class will include:
- Ballet barre
- Ballet enchaînement (combination)
- Modern Dance spinal warm-up
- Modern Dance phrase
- Jazz Dance phrase
- Interview with Dance Faculty