Department of Dance:
Application and Audition Information
What do I have to do to enter the
Department of Dance?
- Complete a qualifying audition as an applicant
the Minor or Concentration in Dance:
for admission to SUNY
College at Geneseo following standard procedures established by
the State University of New York (your High School guidance counselor
can provide you with the necessary forms and instructions, or you can
see the Geneseo admissions web
page ). This applies to all prospective students.
- Decisions for admission to the College in one of
those majors or minors will be based on high school academic records,
results of college entrance examinations, and results of Department of Dance auditions.
When should I audition?
- Dance auditions for admission in Fall 2013
will be held Saturday, March 9, 2013 (9:30am to 12:00pm).
- It is in your best interests to become familiar with
the campuses and programs of all schools you are considering. On your
campus trip, you can include visits to Theatre, Music, or Dance classes
or productions, interviews in the Office of Admission and other
departments of the College, and a campus tour.
Why do I need to apply?
- The purposes of the interview/audition process
assess whether your background is appropriate and sufficient for the
program of study and to assess your potential to successfully complete
What is an audition for the Geneseo Department of Dance like?
Geneseo faculty, fully understanding of audition
anxieties, makes every attempt to make the experience as positive and
friendly as possible. Indeed, we are eager for you to do your very best.
Dance Minor or Concentration
- Audition must demonstrate proficiency at the 200-level in two techniques, chosen from ballet, modern or jazz.
- Dance auditions for admission in Fall
2013 will be held Saturday, March 9, 2013 (9:30am to 12:00pm).
- Arrive by 9:00am to complete an audition form and
- Provide two 3x5 photo of self (in
leotard and tights) to attach to audition form.
- Profile First Arabesque Position
- Captures you in movement
- Bring a Resumé to attach to the
- Bring ballet and jazz shoes, and be
prepared to dance in bare feet.
- Download additional audition
- If you can not attend the audition
dates but wish to audition for the dance program please contact Lori
Morsch (585) 245-5841 or email@example.com
- The audition class will include:
- Ballet barre
- Ballet enchaînement (combination)
- Modern Dance spinal warm-up
- Modern Dance phrase
- Jazz Dance phrase
- Interview with Dance Faculty