Alumni Travel Program
Summer 2020: Brazil
June 7–June 20, 2020
See Brazil as only Geneseo can present it!
Geneseo's Maria Lima, Professor of English, and Melanie Medeiros, Assistant Professor of Anthropology, will host the first-ever Alumni Travel Program to Brazil for Summer 2020.
Alumni, parents and friends are invited to participate in an introduction to the wonders and complex cultural history of the two most important cities in Brazil, Salvador (Bahia) and Rio de Janeiro, the nation's two first capitals. Brazil is known for its art, music, dance, African-influenced cuisine, colonial architecture, museums, beaches and parks.
As a major tourism destination, guests will have a unique opportunity to experience this country with Geneseo faculty members who can offer expertise into the the history, culture and contemporary issues facing the people of Brazil.
Dates: June 7 - June 20, 2020
Proposed Itinerary Overview:
- Sunday, June 7: Depart USA. Participants will make their own flight arrangements.
- Monday, June 8: Arrive in Salvador da Bahia. Geneseo Staff will meet participants at the airport. Welcome dinner.
- Tuesday, June 9: Historic tour of Pelourinho. Group lunch and free afternoon in Pelourinho. [Tuesday is Pelourinho's biggest entertainment night]
- Wednesday, June 10: Guided vehicle tour of Afro-Bahian Salvador. Free afternoon. Walk through Santo Antonio Neighborhood to the Capoeira Fort to see Mestre Boca Rica's Angola da Bahia Roda.
- Thursday, June 11: Visit the Casa do Carnaval Museum. Free afternoon. Attend a performance of the Bale Folclórico da Bahia (Afro-Brazilian folkloric dance performance).
- Friday, June 12: Free morning. Excursion to Solar Unhão (former sugar mill that now houses the Museu de Arte Moderna de Bahia (MAM)) and Casa do Rio Vermelho. Followed by Acaraje in Rio Vermelho at Acaraje de Cira. Free evening.
- Saturday, June 13: Travel to Rio de Janeiro. Guided tour to Christ the Redeemer and Sugarloaf Mountain followed by a welcome dinner.
- Sunday, June 14: Free day.
- Monday, June 15: Free morning. Afternoon Tour of the Wharf and Museum of Tomorrow.
- Tuesday, June 16: Free morning. Tour of downtown Rio de Janeiro: Municipal Theatre and Confeitaria Colombo.
- Wednesday, June 17: Free morning. Cooking class or Tijuca Hike.
- Thursday, June 18: Tour of Santa Teresa neighborhood. Farewell dinner.
- Friday, June 19: Free day. Evening flight to JFK.
- Saturday, June 20: Return to USA.
Itinerary is subject to change.
This trip is intended for alumni of SUNY Geneseo and their guests, as well as faculty, staff, parents and friends of the College and their guests.
If you have questions, please email Michelle Worden '92, Associate Director of Alumni Relations, email@example.com or call: 585.245.5157.
Spouses are welcome and do not have to be Geneseo alumni. Undergraduate Geneseo students who are still matriculated on or after June 1, 2020 may not enroll in the program unless they do so as a guest of a registered alumnus, faculty/staff member or friend of the College.
This trip is nearly all-inclusive and at a great price.
Cost of the trip depends on what type of sleeping arrangements you would like throughout the trip. The basic cost of $3,000 per person includes double occupancy accommodations. If you would like single occupancy accommodations, there is an additional $200 charge ($3,400 per person). Airfare to and from Brazil is not included in these prices.
- Hotel accommodations (3 or 4 star hotels)
- Admissions to all attractions, tours, cooking class and lectures
- Ground transportation between cities and places (private coach bus), along with airfare for the flight while in Brazil
Travel arrangements from USA to Brazil (Salvador da Bahia) and flight home are each individual's responsibility and not included in the trip amount above.
*First Payment Due on or Before - 1/6/20; $1,500 for Double Occupancy and $1,700 for Single Occupancy
Second Payment Due on or Before - 3/1/20; $1,500 for Double Occupancy and $1,700 for Single Occupancy
*If the deadline for the first payment has passed, please call us because we may still be able to add you.
You may also pay for the entire program cost at the time of registration, if you prefer.