The Office of LGBTQ Programs and Services at SUNY Geneseo supports and empowers lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex and asexual students. Through collaboration with students, faculty and staff, the Office develops and implements programs and resources to affirm an individual's many identities. This includes a/sexuality, a/gender identity, gender expression, race, ethnicity, ability, class and religion.
Note: The Office uses "a/sexuality" and "a/gender" to acknowledge that sexual and gender diversity includes people who identify as asexual and agender, as well as those who identify with a particular sexuality and gender. - Princeton, LGBT Center
In Support of SUNY Geneseo's Community Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, the Office of LGBTQ Programs and Services strives toward guiding Geneseo to become a campus that is equitable and inclusive of people of all a/sexual and a/gender identities and gender expressions.
Intersectionality: We acknowledge, honor and respect that each individual has intersecting identities that impact their experiences and how they navigate in and outside the LGBTQIA+ community. Therefore, we work to cultivate a community that is understanding and supportive.
Equity: We recognize that everyone and every community is different and has their own specific needs. Through our work, we seek to provide those we serve with proper resources and tools to guide them to success.
Advocacy: We provide support, resources and tools when addressing issues that harmfully impact our LGBTQIA+ community, whether it be on or off campus, state-wide or federal.
Education: Everyone is at a different place in their learning. Therefore, we encourage others to keep an open mind during interactions with others. We especially do not shame or turn away someone who wants to genuinely learn and engage.
Authenticity: We believe there is no right way to be LGBTQIA+. How a person identifies and expresses their identity is theirs to own. We also accept and support those who are not openly LGBTQIA+, whether it be for personal and/or safety reasons.
The Office of LGBTQ Programs and Services Provides
- Support services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual and ally members of the SUNY Geneseo community
- Educational, social, and supportive programming by, for, and about the LGBTQIA+ community for students, faculty, and staff
- An affirming and supportive space to discuss topics related to a/sexual orientation and a/gender identity either one-on-one or in groups
- Opportunities for involvement in campus initiatives, including but not limited to: Safe Zone training, GOLD workshops, Annual LGBTQ+ Mixer, and panel discussions
- Resources and information regarding navigation of a/sexual and a/gender identity in social, family, community, employment, and health care contexts
- Assistance with reporting bias-related incidents on and off campus
Any act of discrimination, homophobia, transphobia, biphobia, hate or disrespect is unacceptable. Should you feel an individual or group’s behavior does not conform to these guidelines, please bring the situation to the attention of Charlotte Wade at email@example.com as soon as possible.