Bhangra dancers. (SUNY Geneseo photo/Annalee Bainnson '19)
Geneseo faculty and students will provide a day of free entertainment at this year’s Rochester Fringe Festival. Scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 22, at the Lyric Theatre at 440 East Ave. in Rochester, performances will include music, dance and spoken word. This is the festival’s seventh year — Geneseo has participated in the event every year.
The Fringe Festival is a 12-day, multi-disciplinary visual and performing arts festival featuring international, national and local artists and showcases theater, comedy, visual arts, family entertainment, music, dance, spoken word, opera, poetry and literature.
In addition to the student performers, a number of faculty provide creative guidance and support. Melanie Blood, professor of English and music, serves as Geneseo’s Fringe Festival liaison. Additional members of the faculty who are involved with the festival efforts include Gerard Floriano ’84, professor of music; Jim Kimball, music lecturer; Sean McGrath, assistant technical director of theatre; Lytton Smith, associate professor of English; Wan-Ling Chuang and Amy Cochrane, adjunct professors of music.
Geneseo’s Sept. 22 schedule of free events at the Lyric Theatre includes:
- 11 a.m. Geneseo String Quartet
- 11:30 a.m. Geneseo Chamber Music
- 1:15 p.m. Geneseo String Band: Jim Kimball, director
- 2:30 p.m. Identification: Writing Ourselves as You Listen
- 3:45 p.m. Gajjda Bhangra
- 4 p.m. Department of Music’s Honors Recital featuring vocalists and instrumentalists
- 5:15 p.m. All A Cappella Hour
- 6:30 p.m. Music from the South: A faculty recital
- 7:30 p.m. The PETS: A Staged Reading translated from Icelandic by Lytton Smith
- 9 p.m. Sean McGrath, singer/songwriter
- 10:15 p.m. PM Allison Leah, singer/songwriter
Please note that all events at the Lyric Theatre listed above are non-ticketed events. Please arrive early for seating. Some standing room is available.
SUNY Geneseo is a Higher Ed Partner of the Fringe Festival. The President’s Office supports Geneseo’s Lyric Theatre events.
For more information about the Fringe Festival, consult the free program available at newsstands (Geneseo’s events at the Lyric Theatre are listed on page 109) or visit the website. For more information about Geneseo’s involvement, contact Melanie Blood at (585) 245-5840 or email email@example.com.