This policy applies to SUNY Geneseo employees, students, auxiliary organizations (Campus Auxiliary Services, Research Foundation) contractors, tenants, and visitors.
Appropriate Uses of Security Cameras on Campus
- Security camera use on campus is considered inappropriate when it entails:
- the installation of “dummy” cameras that do not operate on a regular basis;
- infringement on a person’s reasonable expectations of privacy; and
- filming as a means of surreptitiously evaluating employee performance.
Principles Regarding the Use of Security Cameras at SUNY Geneseo for Non-Instructional Purposes
- All recording or monitoring of the activities of individuals or groups by College authorized security cameras will be conducted in a manner consistent with existing College policies, and will never be based on the subjects’ personal characteristics, including race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability or other protected classifications.
- All recording or monitoring of video records will be conducted in a professional, ethical and legal manner. College police personnel assigned to monitor video records will receive training in the effective, legal and ethical use of the monitoring equipment.
- All recording or monitoring of public areas for security and safety purposes by College authorized security cameras is limited exclusively to practices that will not violate the standard of a reasonable expectation of privacy as defined by law.
- Recorded images made by College authorized security cameras will be archived for the College in a secure location for a specific predetermined period of time by the University Police Department, and will be accessible to authorized College personnel on an as needed basis only. Upon expiration of the predetermined time period for storage, all recorded images will be destroyed except if they are being used as part of an ongoing investigation of criminal activity. The alteration of previously recorded images is strictly prohibited.
- In public areas, signage giving notice of monitoring by security cameras will be posted as deemed appropriate by the Chief of University Police.
- To maintain an informed campus community, the University Police Department will disseminate on an annual basis a list of the locations of all authorized security cameras used for the recording and monitoring of public areas. This list will be continually updated and made available to all members of the College community upon request throughout the academic year.
- An audit of the location, use and effectiveness of all security cameras used for the recording and monitoring of public areas for non-instructional purposes will be conducted by the Advisory Committee on Campus Safety on an annual basis and the results of that audit will be disseminated to the College community.
- Security cameras installed by authorized third party service providers, such as authorized financial institutions to monitor automated teller machine (ATM) usage on campus, are exempt from this policy.
- Concerns about the possible infringement of these principles should be directed immediately to the Dean of Students or the Assistant Vice President for Human Resources. Unresolved matters may be referred by the concerned party to the appropriate area vice president in Student and Campus Life or Finance and Administration for further review.
- Any person who tampers with or destroys video security equipment will be subject to criminal proceedings and/or campus judicial action.
Frequency of Review and Update
Periodic Review Completed:
Date of Approval