Mission, Values & Goals
Dedicated to learning, SUNY Geneseo is a residential public liberal arts college with selected professional and graduate programs. We combine a rigorous curriculum, transformational learning experiences, and a rich co-curricular life to create a dynamic and inclusive scholarly environment. The entire College community works together to advance knowledge and inspire students to be socially responsible and globally aware citizens who are prepared for an enriched life and success in the world.
The Geneseo campus community is guided by our beliefs in and commitments to the following values:
- Learning: embracing high expectations for intellectual inquiry, scholarly achievement, and personal growth;
- Creativity: affirming a spirit of innovation that inspires intellectual curiosity and problem solving;
- Inclusivity: fostering a diverse campus community marked by mutual respect for the unique talents and contributions of each individual;
- Civic responsibility: promoting ethical local and global citizenship; and
- Sustainability -- advancing just principles of ecological, social, and economic stewardship.
- Provide every student the highest quality education through a rigorous, challenging, and active learning experience in close working relationships with faculty and staff that encourages intellectual engagement and personal growth.
- Recruit, support, and foster the development of a diverse community of outstanding students, faculty, and staff.
- Enrich the collegiate experience by strengthening the integration between curricular and co-curricular programs.
- Cultivate relationships between the College and wider community that support College programs and serve the community.
- Expand funding for institutional priorities and initiatives through public and private support, grants, and entrepreneurial activities.
- Promote institutional effectiveness through ongoing assessment in every program.
- Provide a high quality physical environment and outstanding services, facilities, equipment, and technology.
Because many of the objectives related to these planning goals have been accomplished, the college adopted an interim set of planning goals in anticipation of beginning a new strategic planning process in the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Refine enrollment principles and improve student support
- Coordinate master plans/align campus goals
- Enhance digital learning and data analysis learning
- Promote civic engagement (Project for the Public Good)
- Promote international and global learning (Global Geneseo)
- Implement the Diversity Plan
- Promote sustainability