- Intro to Human Communication
- Intro to Interpersonal Communication
- Intro to Mass Communication
- Principles of Public Speaking
- Broadcast News
- Conflict and Relational Communication
- Family Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- Media Entertainment
- Photography as Visual Communication
- Rhetoric of Standup
- Dixon Schwabl Marketing, Victor, NY
- The Game Haus, Halesite, NY
- JustCause, Rochester, NY
- NY Boulders Baseball, Pomona, NY
- NY Mets, NYC
- Special Olympics of NY, Albany, NY
- Walt Disney World, Orlando, FL
- Wegmans, Rochester, NY
Ivan Cash ’08
Major: Communication (Journalism and Media)
Minor: Graphics Production
Career: Named a Forbes 30 Under 30 Artist in 2016, Cash is an interactive public artist, speaker, filmmaker, and advertising professional who owns and operates the marketing agency Cash Studios in Oakland, CA. The agency develops nontraditional marketing campaigns for brands like Coca-Cola, Netflix, Uber, and Airbnb, including short films, social activations, and other content.
Why study communication at Geneseo?
Interpersonal communication, mass communication, public speaking—students of human communication learn it all. The major integrates both theory and practical application into a comprehensive liberal arts program that encourages individualization.
Students can pursue independent research projects, work at the on-site radio station and campus newspaper, and participate in student clubs to practice concepts from classes like strategic or intercultural communication, public speaking, and more. Internship opportunities provide hands-on, real-world work experience in numerous departments on campus or in organizations across New York and beyond.
Graduates go on to work in both the public and private sector, from small organizations to large, international corporations. While many choose careers traditionally associated with communication such as broadcast, public relations, marketing, and human resources, others pursue paths like sports information, law, and various therapy-related careers.
- Geneseo’s communication program lets students focus on specific areas:
- Relational Communication—family, interpersonal, intercultural, leadership, and group communication
- Broadcast Media—media writing, photography, radio, and video production
- Media Studies—media ethics, international mass communication, media entertainment, and advertising
- Rhetorical Studies—public speaking, rhetorical analysis and identity, standup comedy, and visual communication
- Strategic Communication—persuasion, public relations, advertising, and health messaging
- Every semester, 10–15% of majors complete an internship, with many students completing more than one.
- Specialized research classes provide students a chance to submit papers for professional review to the annual Eastern Communication Association (ECA) conference. Along with a consistently high paper acceptance rate, many students have also earned Top Paper and Top Poster awards.
- Corporate communications
- CX/UX web design
- Event planning and promotion, fundraising
- Human resources or social work
- Marketing, advertising, public relations
- Print or broadcast journalism
- Sports information, broadcast news and sports
- Avanti, Alexandria, VA
- Bloomberg LP, NYC
- Citi, Buffalo, NY
- Emily Blair Media, Los Angeles, CA
- Enterprise, Cranston, RI
- Fidelity, Boston, NY
- Howard University, Washington, DC
- Paychex, Rochester, NY
- TikTok, NYC
- Wegmans, Rochester, NY
Recent Grad Schools
- Baruch College, Zicklin School of Business
- Hofstra University, Deane School of Law
- Syracuse University, Newhouse School of Public Communications
- Tufts University School of Medicine
- University of Rochester, Simon Business School