SUNY Geneseo requires all students to bring a Windows or Macintosh laptop to Geneseo.
Why is there a laptop requirement?
This requirement has several benefits, including:
- enabling students, faculty, and staff to take advantage of learning opportunities that exist only when every student in a classroom has a laptop
- establishing a campus culture in which faculty and staff are increasingly willing and able to explore innovative and effective classroom and co-curricular uses of information technology
- encouraging students to develop essential computer skills
Can I purchase a desktop computer instead?
No. Students must purchase a laptop computer.
Does a Chromebook satisfy the laptop requirement?
No. Chromebooks and Chrome OS do not satisfy the laptop requirement. Student computers must be able to run a full version of Mac OS or Microsoft Windows in order to meet the variety of software needs they will encounter. Other operating systems such as Chrome OS are insufficient to satisfy the laptop requirement.
Can I bring an Apple notebook to campus?
Yes. The Geneseo network fully supports both Apple and Windows operating systems. Students may also wish to check with the department of their major for additional recommendations.
Can I buy a laptop computer from any manufacturer?
Yes. Most companies offer a college student discount as well. Be sure to purchase a laptop that meets or exceeds the minimum configurations.
Will I use the laptop in my classes?
Frequency of laptop use in class will vary. Some faculty may require you to bring the laptop to class, while others will incorporate it less often. You will find that the laptop is an essential tool outside of class: check course web sites, correspond with classmates and professors, and conduct Internet and library research.
Is there financial assistance for purchasing a laptop?
Financially disadvantaged students can apply for consideration for a long term laptop loan from the college. Students eligible for a Pell Grant with a FAFSA Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $0 can apply for the laptop loan. The application is available and due August 4th.
Minimum Windows and Macintosh Laptop Configurations
- Operating System: Windows 10 / macOS X 11 or higher
- Storage: at least 256GB HDD (Hard Drive)
- RAM: 8GB
Recommended Configuration for New Purchases
- Operating System: Windows 10 / macOS 11 or higher
- Storage: at least 512GB SSD (Solid State Drive)
- RAM: 16GB
- Antivirus Software (Windows): Microsoft Windows Defender is built into Windows 10, you may choose to purchase a commercial product
- Apple Authorized Resellers: Students, take care of your technology investments! Be sure to purchase Apple products from Apple Authorized Resellers and seek in-warranty service from Authorized Service Providers. The closest Apple repair location to Geneseo is the Apple Store at Eastview Mall.
- Backup: BOTH an external hard drive configured for automatic backup and the Google Drive for Desktop app configured to sync with the student's campus account.
- Dongles and Adapters: An HDMI adapter, depending on the laptop, may be necessary in order to give presentations or connect to external monitors and classroom projectors.
- Internet Connection: A DSL, cable, or fiber connection to the internet. The better the internet connection, the better the experience. This website can help determine an internet connection's speed.
- Network: Integrated Ethernet connection/compatible network adapters and 25 foot Ethernet cable for on-campus residents. Wireless network card (802.11 n/ac) for use across campus.
- Office Suite: Microsoft Office 365 (available for FREE to Geneseo students)
- Operating System: Student computers must be able to run a full version of macOS or Microsoft Windows in order to meet the variety of software needs they will encounter. Other operating systems such as Chrome OS or iOS are insufficient to satisfy the laptop requirement.
- Personal Printers: Personal printers with wireless capability are not allowed on campus. These printers have a severe negative impact on the entire campus wireless network. Personal printers must be directly cabled to a computer.
- Application: Laptop Loan for Financially Disadvantaged Students
- Policy: Student Notebook Requirement
- Reference: Get Connected! Resources for Campus Residents
- Reference: Wireless Network