To study at SUNY Geneseo as an exchange student, you must:
- Be in good academic standing at your home campus
- Be nominated for exchange by your home campus
- Show evidence of access, by way of bank statement, scholarship assurance, or loans to finances equal to or exceeding the total amount indicated on the Tuition and Fees page.
- Show evidence of competence of English language, if English is not your first language. Competence can be shown in the form of one of the following exams:
- TOEFL (minimum score of 550)
- IBT (minimum score of 79-80)
- IELTS (minimum score of 6.5)
- We also accept the Cambridge Advanced English Exams (C1)
- Competence can also be shown by a letter from your home university international office. If you are presently enrolled at a partner university in which 50% or more of instruction is conducted in English, an English language testing waiver can be considered on a case-by-case basis.
How to Apply
STEP 1: Apply to your home campus International Office to be nominated as an exchange student at SUNY Geneseo.
STEP 2: Your home campus must send your nomination for exchange to SUNY Geneseo. Nominations should be sent to email@example.com by March 1 for Fall (August-December) semester arrival, or by October 1 for Spring (January-May) semester arrival.
Nominations for each student must include the following:
- Student Name (as it appears on your passport)
- Intended Term(s) of Study
- Intended Program of Study (Major)
- Date of Birth
- Email Address
- Permanent Home Address
STEP 3: After your nomination has been received by Geneseo, the Study Abroad Office at SUNY Geneseo will contact you directly by email to begin your online application.
Application Submission Timeline
You must complete all fields of the online application and scan and email all supporting documents by:
- March 20 for Academic Year (August-May) participation.
- October 20 for Spring Semester (January-May) particiation.
- March 20 for Fall Semester (August-December) participation.
If you have any questions about the online application, please contact the Study Abroad Office staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.