Scholars at the McNair Program summer research symposium (SUNY Geneseo photo/Keith Walters '11)
This summer, the Geneseo community welcomed a wide variety of visitors to campus, from fans of WWII aircraft to youth soccer enthusiasts, for events ranging from reunions to orientations. Nearly 9,000 people attended events or took part in activities held in college facilities, bringing to the greater Geneseo area tourist revenue and an economic impact of approximately $132,000.
In college events and activities:
• The SUNY Geneseo Summer Reunion drew nearly 750 alumni.
• Six first-year and two transfer orientation sessions were attended by more than 1,200 students and nearly 950 parents and family members.
• The McNair Program brought 15 scholars to campus for a summer research symposium.
• The AOP Summer Scholars Program welcomed 92 students along with 15 peer mentors (current Geneseo students).
In programs and events for school children:
• The Geneseo Central School graduation ceremony drew more than 900 people to the Wadsworth Auditorium.
• Three athletic camps—soccer, lacrosse, and volleyball—put nearly 100 students through their paces.
• The Rochester Young Scholars Academy brought 68 youth and 14 counselors to campus for a two-week program.
• Empire Soccer held training camps for 40 students in the college stadium.
• Bronze Bear Soccer hosted 24 travel teams with 75 players and parents in attendance as well as eight micro-soccer (pee wees) games, which drew about 250 players and parents to each game.
In training and seminar activities:
• A Small Business Development Center workshop drew 50 local business owners.
• A consolidated funding workshop hosted by the Empire State Development office attracted 75 business owners.
• A two-week chemistry modeling workshop brought a dozen local teachers to campus.
In celebratory events:
• The Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, through the support of the Chanler family, entertained nearly 1,000 music lovers in a Summer Spectacular celebration concert that featured a fireworks display.
In one-of-a-kind programs:
• The 1941 Historic Aircraft Group, in the region for the annual regional airshow, brought nearly 60 pilots to campus.
For information about scheduling events on the SUNY Geneseo campus, contact the Office of Scheduling, Events, and Conference Services at email@example.com or 585-245-5500, or stop by room 23 in Erwin Hall during normal business hours.