Case Competition 2023 Information
Will be posted when more information becomes available
Case Competition March 2021
Over the first weekend in March 2021, a team of five students who are members of the Geneseo Society for Human Resource Management chapter were sent to represent SUNY Geneseo and participate in the 2021 New York State Student Case Competition. This year the event was virtual and was hosted by New York State SHRM, Long Island SHRM, and NYIT. The event was open to colleges statewide and attracted many teams. The team that represented Geneseo put in a lot of hard work and were rewarded by placing first in this year’s event!
The students on the winning team are business administration majors Benjamin Bosak ’21, Walden Grady ’21, Johann Woodcock ’22, and Danielle Silver ’23 accompanied by communications major Greg Hyde ’21. These members are a combination of members, and officers from SUNY Geneseo’s SHRM chapter, a student run professional organization through the School of Business with faculty advisor and professor of management, Dr. Avan Jassawalla.
The students were provided with a case representing a business that was struggling with internal problems, especially in the HR field. It was the job of the participants to work together and collaborate in order to rectify these problems by developing strategies and then presenting these solutions to a panel of judges. These judges were HR professionals donating their time for the competition. SUNY Geneseo’s team had fifteen minutes to present their recommendations and then there was a Q&A section also fifteen minutes long, both of which the team excelled in.
The judges deliberated while the students were able to network with some HR professionals and other students. After the networking event the results were in and Geneseo had won the undergraduate category! Along with this win came a prize of $1000 to support the Geneseo SHRM chapter. The money will be used for programming and travel expenses when the world opens back up in the future. Geneseo’s chapter hosts professional development events and other activities for its members to connect students with an interest in HR to the field while providing them with the resources needed. Geneseo will be sending another team to the Case Competition next year with high hopes!
By Walden Grady ‘21
- Site Visit to the SUNY Geneseo Human Resource Department
- Discussion with alumni, June Moore on the HR profession
- Discussion with Title IX coordinator Tamara Kenney on sexual harassment
- Discussion with Mr. Ed Moore on the SHRM Competency Model
- Club fundraiser at YoBerry
- Visit to FTT Manufacturing, Geneseo, NY
- Visit to Dixon Schwabl, Victor, NY
- "Recruitment and HR" with alumni Kim Quartier, HR Administrator, Klein Steel Services, Inc.
- "What is HR?" with Julie Briggs, Assistant VP, Human Resources, SUNY Geneseo
- "The Importance of Networking and an Effective Job Search" with alumni Padraic McConville, VP of the Greater NYC area, Partners Group (Fall 2013)
- "Employee Compensation" with Toni Zeiser
- "Benefits of Going Global" with Kenneth Tomaszewski, President and CEO, KJT Group
- "Role of HR in Strategy Implementation" with Bob Legge, President, Legge & Company LLC
- Visit to Paychex HR Headquarters located in Rochester, NY
- "What is HRM?" with Mrs. June Moore, Paychex.
- "Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace" with Prof. Meredith Harrigan, Communications Department, SUNY Geneseo
- "Sexual Harassment" with Ms. Gloria Lopez, SUNY Geneseo's HR department
- "Employee Selection" with Ms. Kerrie Bondi, Career Services, SUNY Geneseo
- "Employee Benefits" with Ms. Elizabeth Ross, HR director at CPAC.
- "Compensation and Incentives" with Ms. Donna Maxwell, V.P. of HR at ElementK.
- "International HRM" with Mr. George Gotscik, Senior Executive (retired) for Kodak, Business Advisory Council member for SUNY Geneseo's School of Business
- Management and HR Consulting: What is it?
- How to Land Your Dream Job.
- How to be an Effective and Valued HR Employee with Elizabeth Jerabeck.
- "Your Legal Rights as a Victim of Discrimination at Work" with Prof. Jim Quinn, SUNY Geneseo
- "The Pandemic and Impact on the Human Capital of Organizations" with Prof. Robert Boyd, SUNY Geneseo