good preparation is what it takes to get into a high quality graduate school or to be awarded a competitive fellowship or scholarship.
- Attend informational meetings on fellowships and make an appointment with Fellowships Coordinator Michael Mills (email@example.com)
- Keep your GPA high and aim for a transcript that shows depth of expertise in a field
- Get your work published or enter writing and essay contests
- Work with faculty to develop opportunities to do substantial research or creative projects
- Practice public speaking
- Get involved in your community through volunteer opportunities on and off campus
- Demonstrate a commitment to outside activities that serve a community purpose
- Serve on college committees
- Study foreign languages
- Develop your vision: a focused understanding of your goals and a plan to reach them, a desire to make a difference, passion, and commitment to causes and activities
- Keep a portfolio of all activities and awards
- Develop relationships with professors who will write letters of recommendation, advise you on research topics, and discuss fellowships and graduate programs in your field
- Seek out internships, asking both faculty in your field and in career resources
- Develop interview and application skills through participation in workshops sponsored by the Fellowships Office, Career Services, and the GOLD program
The links below will direct you to .pdf files that can be used to assist you in your preparation.