Fingerprinting Requirement for New York State Teaching Certification
All candidates for initial certification and all new school employees must be cleared through FBI fingerprinting and criminal background check. The costs for the fingerprinting and the background check are incurred by the candidate. To start your fingerprinting process, please go to NYSED's fingerprinting page.
Please note: Candidates who wish to teach in New York City should submit their fingerprints to New York City's Department of Education and then submit form OSPRA 104 to HRconnect@schols.nyc.gov. OSPRA 104 will share fingerprinting information to NYSED, otherwise candidates may need to pay for fingerprinting twice or complete form OSPRA 103.
- Fingerprints must be scanned at a MorphoTrust location; appointments are required.
- You must use the service code below to schedule your fingerprinting appointment:
- Certification Service Code: 14ZGQT
- The fingerprinting fees are paid onsite at the time of the fingerprinting session. You may pay with a credit card, cash or check. For more information on fees, visit NYSED's page.
- You must provide at least two forms of identification. At least one form of ID must include a photo.
- Fingerprinting results will automatically post to your TEACH account. If the fingerprinting page on your account says, "Your DCJS and FBI results have been received," your fingerprints have been successfully added to the database.
If you have any specific questions, please contact the NYSED Fingerprint Helpdesk at: email@example.com or call (518) 473-2998.