Prior Service for Retirement Purposes
Prior service is New York State public service completed before you became a member of one of the retirement systems either the New York State Teachers Retirement (TRS) or
the New York State and Local Retirement System. Geneseo only has records on campus for five years. After that the search must start with the New York State Comptrollers Office.
There are a couple pieces of information that are SUNY Geneseo specific that might hinder your search for credit.
Prior to 1997 the work study payroll at Geneseo was processed through the Research Foundation of the State University of New York
- All Food Service operations were operated by the Faculty/Student Association which became Campus Auxiliary Services, Inc. in 1976
- The Geneseo Migrant Center was operated on a grant administered by the Research Foundation
The Research Foundation and the food service organizations are both private non for profit corporations and that service is not creditable in the New York State public retirement systems.
Claiming Prior Service less than 5 Yrs ago
1. Print the Prior Service form from your respective retirement system. Links to follow
2. Complete the form with all pertinent information including years of service you are looking for, any maiden or other names used during that time, etc.
3. Mail the completed form to
1 College Circle
Doty Hall 318
Geneseo, NY 14454
Once the form is completed Payroll will mail the completed form to the retirement system. The retirement system will contact you with further details.
Claiming Prior Service more than 5 yrs ago
1. Send a request for your wage information to email@example.com
2. Give them your name, address, and the years you are requesting wages for
3. Complete the Personal Privacy Release Form and send it to the address at the bottom of the form
If the Comptrollers office returns wage information to you, then you must send the prior service form from the retirement system along with the comptrollers information to the address listed above. Payroll will complete the form and forward it onto the retirement system. The retirement system will contact you with further details.
Links to the public retirement systems and forms