3+3 Doctorate of Physical Therapy Degree (DPT)
The 3+3 Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT) Degree program is an accelerated, combined degree program with SUNY Upstate Medical University, which allows you to earn a DPT Degree in 6 years, rather than the typical 7 years. After 3 years of study as a Biology major at Geneseo, you transfer to Upstate for 3 years. Upon completion of one year of studies at Upstate, Geneseo awards you a BA Degree in Biology, and upon completion of 3 years at Upstate, you are awarded the DPT Degree.
To be eligible for this program, the applicant must have:
- A combination SAT score of 1270 or better or ACT composite score of 26 or better
- A high school average of at least 90% or better
- High School rank - top 20% of class
- Four years of Science and Math at the regents or honors level (honors level, AP or IB courses recommended)
- Letter of recommendation from a Physical Therapist (if available)
- Observational experience in physical therapy through participation in a Health Explorers Post, New Visions Program, shadowing or volunteer work. While there is not a minimum number of shadowing hours, we recommend at least 20 hours of shadowing by February 1 to be a competitive applicant
To apply for this program, you must submit two separate applications–one to Geneseo and another to SUNY Upstate. To apply to Geneseo, you may file either the preferred Common Application or SUNY Application by January 1. Be sure to give yourself 4-6 weeks to complete our application process. Upstate’s application deadline is February 1.
It is important that you clearly indicate on your Geneseo application that you wish to be considered for the 3+3 DPT Program with SUNY Upstate Medical University. You must be admitted separately to each College in order to participate in this Program. Qualified applicants will be contacted by SUNY Upstate to set up an on-campus interview.
Conditions of acceptance:
- Will not be required to take the GRE
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a grade of "B" or higher is recommended, though a "C" will meet the requirement
- Two 40-hour observation sessions in two separate settings
- 3.30 cumulative and prerequisite GPA
For more specific information about this program, feel free to contact the program advisor at Geneseo, Jennifer Haines. She can be reached at either 585-245-6467 or firstname.lastname@example.org.