Residence Director (2019 - 2020)
The Department of Student Life is seeking graduate students to serve as team members for the Department of Student Life as Residence Director. Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree and be enrolled in a graduate program or have planned involvement in an advanced educational opportunity. Experience as a member of a residence hall staff is preferred and candidates should indicate an interest in and understanding of student development and learning.
The Residence Director is a member of the Student Life professional staff who, along with an undergraduate Assistant Residence Director (ARD), will be responsible for the students and RA staff of a residence hall. General duties and responsibilities (20 hours per week) will include administration of a residence hall, staff development, community development and educational initiatives, meeting attendance, crisis and emergency response in the “on-call” duty rotation, and participation in department wide initiatives. The Residence Director is obligated to live in the provided apartment.
- Stipend of $12,000 per year
- Furnished apartment
- Cable including HBOGo
- Wifi Internet access
- $300.00 meal stipend per semester
- Professional development opportunities
Title: Residence Director (RD), Department of Student Life at SUNY Geneseo
Reports To: Area Coordinator and indirectly to an Associate Director
Specific Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree; enrollment in a graduate program or have planned involvement in an advanced educational opportunity; residence hall staff experience preferred; organizational skills; strong interpersonal and communication skills; teamwork orientation; ability to work within budgets; understanding of student development and residential facilities management.
Terms of Employment: Start date begins August 1, 2019 through May 31, 2020. When classes are in session, work is not to exceed 20 hours per week. This position is a live-in position requiring extensive training, evening work and weekend time commitments at times. It is expected that the Residence Director (RD) serve in an “on-call” duty rotation.
General Duties & Responsibilities
Administration of Residence Hall
- Maintain 10 scheduled office hours per week. During this time the RD may take care of the tasks listed below.
- Manage, coordinate, and attend all aspects of designated hall openings and closings (beginning and end of semester and holiday closings)
- Oversee room and key inventories for residence hall (primarily beginning and end of semester)
- Handle all related tasks to hall management (damage billing, occupancy reports, etc.; periodic)
- Assist with staff and housing selection (occurs in the spring)
- Serve as a resource to all students in residence hall
- Meet with residents
- Meet with RA staff for individuals
- Supervise and evaluate RA staff each semester
- Conduct weekly staff meeting (1 hour)
- Conduct weekly individuals with RA staff (3 hours)
- Active participation in training of RAs through presentations (prior to start of classes)
Community Development & Educational Initiatives
- Be visible and accessible to students who live in residence hall
- Serve as a resource for Hall Council and Assistant Residence Director (secondary advisor)
- Maintain hall programming budgets (RA, hall council, staff development) and track programming in residence hall
- Be a resource to RAs and assist in the development of programs to meet intended learning outcomes and goals
- Productively address all student concerns and roommate conflicts in residence hall
- Attend weekly department staff meetings (2 hours), Professional Development (1 hour), and one on one meetings with supervisor (1 hour)
- Participate in "on-call" duty rotation schedule
- Participate in department-wide initiatives
Application Deadline is rolling with preference given to those who apply by January 1, 2019. General closing date is February 1, 2019. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and interviews may take place prior to February 1, 2019.
Click here to apply online: http://go.geneseo.edu/StudentLifeResidenceDirector
Cover Letter, Resume, and References may also be sent to email@example.com as a .pdf attachment.