Residence halls will officially close on May 21, 2022 at 10:00 AM. Residents must inform Residence Life of their plans by May 9, 2022 using this form.
All residents must vacate their rooms within 24 hours of the completion of their last Final Exam. Seniors participating in Commencement activities, and those residents identified by the Office of Scheduling, Events, and Conference Services who will be volunteering at Commencement, must depart by 12:00 PM on May 22, 2022.
The terms "closing", "move-out", and "check-out" all refer to the same thing, but have different meanings.
Closing - This is how we refer to the process of shutting down or transitioning building operations. It is also how we prepare to wrap up staffing plans and department operations for the year. Official Closing is May 21, 2022.
Move-Out - This is you physically packing up, cleaning up, and leaving your room with no plans of returning to the Residence Halls until the next year or not at all.
Check-Out - This is you making a plan for Move-Out to assist us in Closing. You will need to make an appointment with your RA to do a room inspection, submit work orders, locate and hand in your key, decide your move-out date and time, and communicate any plans with your RA, RD, or AC.
RAs will be holding informational meetings about closing beginning April 27 - May 4.
May 13 - 20: Closing Sign-Ups
Residents can sign-up with their own RA to complete their RCR and Check-Out.
May 16 - 20: Closing Shifts 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. then RA on Duty until 10:00 p.m.
Residents can go to their Residence Hall service desk during these hours if they did not sign-up with their RA to Check-Out.
May 21: Final Day of Closing and Commencement
Residents who have Final Exams on Friday, May 20 in the afternoon or evening should be the only residents to Check-Out on May 21, 2022.
Express Check-Out is an option.
Things to know:
- 24 hour Quiet Hours - starting on study day
- Residents must depart 24 hours after their last final exam
- Residents must depart after they check-out; they cannot reenter the room
- Express Check-Out is an option
- Residents need to inform their RA/RD/AC that they will be using that option
- Envelopes with information to be completed by the resident will be provided
- You will need to indicate a drop-off location
- Residents will drop their envelope, sealed with their key inside, at your drop-off location
- Residents who choose this option will not be able to dispute room/damage charges (including key loss).
- Residents (other than Seniors or those who have Siblings graduating) may not stay in the Residence Halls for Commencement
- RCRs/Room Check may not be completed until the room/space is empty or completely packed
- Keys must be turned in immediately upon check-out and departure
- Keys will not be accepted past May 27, 2022
- Mailing Key - use a padded envelope or tape it to cardboard otherwise keys get lost in mail; Residence Life is not responsible for keys lost in the mail
- Keys must be in hand by May 27, 2022 (not postmarked)
- Improper Check-Out will result in a $50.00 charge (plus the daily housing rate)
- Departure without communication
- Excessive belongings left behind
- Key not returned (plus cost of lock change)
- Resident found in room after 10:00 AM on May 21
- Personal belongings or items left behind in residence hall rooms and common areas will be discarded. Residence Life will not store personal belongings or items or hold them for pick-up.
To have an efficient departure, residents will make an appointment with their Resident Assistant for a room inspection and official "check-out" just prior to their moving out for the summer. Residents must be prepared to depart after they check-out of their residence hall room. Once they check-out, residents may not reenter the room. Check-outs may be scheduled to take place between May 13 and May 20, 2022. Residents who have Final Exams during the later afternoon and evening on May 20 may complete an Express Check-Out by 10:00 AM on May 21.
Information about check-out appointments and requirements will be posted at residence hall service desks and shared at spring closing meetings.
Residents must inform Residence Life of their plans by May 9, 2022 using this form.
Questions? Talk to your RA or another RA, RD, or AC.
Guidelines for a Safe Move-Out Experience
- Make an appointment with an RA for check-out when you are prepared to depart!
- Inform Residence Life of your plans by May 9, 2022 using this form.
- Invite helpers to assist in the move-out process. Helpers should not come to campus if they have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 10 days, have a fever over 100.00, or if they have any of the following symptoms: cough, congestion, headache, loss of smell or taste, diarrhea, or any other concerning symptoms.
- Wearing masks is encouraged in the residence halls especially in congested areas, while using elevators, or when within 6 feet of another person.
- Wipe down high touch surfaces with disinfectants (ex: spray and paper towels).
- Leave the room in the condition it was in upon arrival in August/January: Sweep floors, clean bathroom, return all furniture, report damages, remove personal items, and use the trash room to throw away garbage.
- Depart within the two-hour window allotted.