Student Research Assistantships
Two rounds of Student Research Assistantship awards are available each year to provide faculty members with paid research assistance for their scholarly projects: Dean Johnston for the Spring semester and Geneseo Foundation for the Fall. Students work with individual professors for one semester, assisting in faculty-driven scholarly projects and thus gaining invaluable experience in the methods of original research.
Research projects are supported in all disciplines, should involve direct student and faculty interaction and offer learning opportunities not available through conventional classroom instruction. Three Assistantships at $1,000 each are available to undergraduates for each of the Spring 2019 and Fall 2019 semesters.
The Dean Johnston awards were made possible through an endowment established by CPAC, Inc., in honor of the significant contribution of Dean Johnston, retired Vice-president of CPAC, Inc., and member of the Geneseo Foundation Board of Directors, had made to the success of CPAC, Inc. The Geneseo Foundation provides funding for the summer awards.
The Geneseo Foundation, a nonprofit organization which accepts, administers and allocates private gifts to benefit SUNY Geneseo, will oversee the distribution of these funds by the College Research Council. There is a limit of 1 proposal per faculty member.
The opportunity for undergraduate students to assist in research alongside experienced faculty is a unique and rewarding experience for everyone involved. Geneseo has a strong tradition of providing such opportunities for undergraduates. The Dean Johnston and Geneseo Foundation Student Research Assistantships will continue to further this tradition by providing worthy projects with funding.
Priority will be given to projects:
- that enable students to learn skills above those they already have
- for which there is no exteral funding
- that have not been previously supported
- Spring 2019 awards, October 15, 2018, 8:00 am
- Fall 2019 awards, April 1, 2019, 8:00 am
Applications are comprised of a student statement and a faculty statement. To apply:
- Download a Student Statement Form (.docx)
- Complete the form, save as a pdf with the filename format: lastname_firstname.pdf
- Complete the Student Research Assistant Submission Form
- Download a Faculty Statement Form (.docx)
- Complete the form, save as a pdf with filename format: studentlastname_srafaculty.pdf
- Email completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org