How to Apply to the Reading and Literacy B-12 Graduate Program
Below are the application requirements for the Reading and Literacy B-12 graduate program at SUNY Geneseo. Applications will not be reviewed until all required materials are submitted.
GRE Scores Not Required
SUNY Geneseo no longer requires the GRE for graduate-level teacher education programs, so there is no need to submit GRE scores when applying.
- Online application
Please apply for admission online. Here is the link to the online application.
- $50 application fee
- We accept payment by check, money order, credit and debit card.
- You may pay online using a credit or debit card.
- You may pay by phone using a credit or debit card by calling 585-245-5148.
- Send checks and money orders, made payable to SUNY Geneseo, to the address at the top of this page.
- Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions to find out how to receive an application fee waiver.
- Official transcript(s)
- Required from all institutions of higher education attended.
- If you are a SUNY Geneseo student or alumnus, the Office of Graduate Admissions will obtain your transcript for you.
- If you have transferred credit to the institution you received your degree from and it appears on your transcript, we do not need a transcript from the transfer institution.
- Must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Test scores
You are only required to submit the results of ONE of the following certification exams:
- Letters of recommendation
Letters of recommendation from two persons who can attest to the academic potential for graduate study and personal character of the applicant, one of which must be completed by a faculty member.
The Office of Admissions does not require a particular form for letters of recommendation. If you already have a digital placement file established through an online vendor such as Interfolio, or if you are a Geneseo alumnus with a graduation date of 2012 or earlier and had established a placement file with the SUNY Geneseo Career Design Center before you graduated, you need to contact either Interfolio or the Career Design Center, respectively, to facilitate the transfer of your placement file to the Office of Admissions.
- Proof of initial teaching certification
- The Ella Cline Shear School of Education offers graduate programs leading to professional certification. You do not need to be certified to apply for admission. However, you must have earned an initial teaching certificate before beginning one of our master's degree programs.
- If a copy of your teaching certificate is not available by the deadline, and you are NOT a SUNY Geneseo undergraduate, you must submit documentation from your undergraduate institution stating what certification you will earn and when.
- If you have completed all of your necessary certification exams, provide a screenshot of your TEACH account as documentation.
- If you have not completed all of your necessary certification exams, provide a screenshot of your TEACH account as documentation of those you have taken and a screenshot of your NYSTCE account as documentation that you are registered for the remainder.
In one to two double-spaced pages, state why you are interested in this particular program, what you hope to gain from it, and why you believe you are well suited for it.
Be sure to briefly share your current beliefs on literacy and learning and any key experiences that shaped those beliefs.
- Applicants who do not meet the GPA or Test Score application requirements above may apply for a waiver.
- Since our education programs are registered with the New York State Education Department, we can only accept students who hold initial certification.
- Proof of English Proficiency (international students only)
The International Admission Committee requires that all students must demonstrate proficiency in English. Official results from the following English proficiency exams are accepted:
- TOEFL (Internet-based minimum score: 75)
- Institution Code: 2540
- IELTS (minimum score of 6.5 overall; no section can be below 6.0)
- PTE (minimum 58)
- iTEP (minimum 3.7)
- MET (minimum 53)
- Eiken Grade Pre-1
- Duolingo English Test (minimum 105)
- Cambridge English
- Skills for English (CEFR B2 w/ merit)
If you are transferring from a college or university within the United States, successful completion of at least 2 full semesters of academic coursework (24 credit hours) with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 may be a sufficient demonstration of English proficiency.
- TOEFL (Internet-based minimum score: 75)
Instructions and Deadlines
- Where to send supplemental application materials
Application materials can be hand-delivered, mailed, emailed or faxed. Applications will not be reviewed until all required materials are submitted.
Office of Admissions
1 College Circle
Doty Hall, Room 200
Geneseo, NY, 14454
- Application deadlines
The application deadlines for graduate programs in education are as follows:
April 1 - recommended for Summer Session I admittance*
March 1 - required for assistantship application
June 1 - recommended for Summer Session II admittance*
July 1 - recommended for Fall admittance*
November 1 - recommended for Spring admittance*
* Applications received after the published deadlines will be reviewed on a space-available basis.