Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Residence Life
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
All Residence Life staff will participate in critical dialogue around DEI, anti-racism, and cultural humility. All training, educational initiatives, and occupancy management will incorporate these commitments and staff will espouse these values in their roles through programmatic and engagement efforts.
- Goals for 2021-2022
- Restorative Justice certification for the Leadership Team.
- Addition of Community Circles for relationship building to encourage agency and practice critical dialogue in the residence halls and with Residence Life professional and student staff.
- Accomplishments 2021-2022
- Goals for 2020-2021
- Add Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion more explicitly in our Educational Priority and Departmental Mission.
- Create a departmental Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee.
- Investigate a new Living-Learning Community to support BIPOC.
- Leadership Team will complete the Advancing Cultural Competency Certificate.
- Accomplishments 2020-2021
- Establishment of the Umoja House Living-Learning Community
- ResLife DEI Committee established, initiatives led by student staff and co-chaired by Laura Dulski and Meg Reitz; created a space for student staff voices to be heard and acted upon
- Re-wrote Departmental Mission and Educational Curriculum to reflect DEI commitment.
- Updated language on housing application for students to provide clearer housing options for LGBTQ+ students and allies.
- New webpage to highlight our efforts and demonstrate departmental accountability
- Complete overview of DEI questions and language in RA selection materials (start to finish)
- Added pronouns to all RA selection materials, including interview questions area (if shared with us)