Residence Life Core Purpose and Focus
The SUNY Geneseo Department of Residence Life, in partnership with our residents, promotes an inclusive living and learning environment that encourages well being and engagement for all students who live on campus.
Residence Life administers selected co-curricular educational and assessment initiatives within the residential experience. Opportunities for student engagement and learning within the department include the living-learning communities and residential college houses, as well as student leadership and applied learning opportunities. Our trained Residence Life team members pursue ways to collaborate with Geneseo faculty and staff to support our residents as they pursue their individual educational and personal goals. By providing challenges to better themselves, demonstrating an ethic of individual care, and building a strong, vibrant campus community, we hope to make a long-lasting positive impact on the lives of our students.
Residence Life Intention, Passion, and Vision
It is the intention of the Department of Residence Life to identify and provide opportunities for students to engage and learn that result in increased knowledge, greater self-awareness, and a clearer sense of purpose.
Our passion is the improvement of the human condition through the expansion of a caring community. (Campus Life: In Search of Community p. 47)
Residence Life will be recognized for creating a premier residential experience by fostering well being and implementing innovative opportunities for student learning and engagement. Living on campus will become an integral part of our students' educational experience and will be the catalyst in their preparation to making meaning in their lives and the lives of others.
- To provide opportunities for students to learn, interact, lead, reflect, program, question and have fun. (How College Affects Students p. 647)
- To provide safe and inviting places where our residents can gather to engage, live, and flourish.
- To provide commonly shared experiences that promote belonging and connectedness with a mutual respect for the unique contributions of each individual.
The Department of Residence Life develops socially responsible citizens who build positive relationships as engaged learners.
1. Each student will become a socially responsible citizen. (SCR, LD)
2. Each student will build positive relationships (SUPVS, ECSS, AD)
3. Each student will aspire to be an engaged learner. (CEAA, HL, ID)