Latin American Studies Minor Requirements:
21 semester hours
Basic Requirements - 12 semester hours
- Anth. 235 Ancient Civilization in the Americas (3 cr.)
- Geog. 262 Latin America (3 cr.)
- Hist. 270 Latin America to 1825 (3 cr.)
- Hist. 271 Latin America since 1825 (3 cr.)
Electives - 9-10 semester hours
(three courses, including one from each of the following areas)
Arts and Literature:
- ArthH. 281 Art of Latin America
- ArthH. 300 Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo
- Engl. 360 Post-Colonial Literature: The Literatures of the Caribbean (4 credits)
- Span. 305 Survey of Latin American Literature I
Span. 306 Survey of Latin American Literature II
- Span. 353 Early Latin American Literature
Span. 363 19th Century Latin American Literature
Span. 373 Contemporary Latin American Literature
Directed Study, Slot and/or Interdepartmental course involving arts and literature of Latin America, with the approval of the Coordinator.
- Anth. 224 Ethnography of Gender in Latin America
Anth. 226 Ethnography of Latin America
- Anth. 235 Early Civilizations of the Americas
- Hist. 372 History of Modern Mexico
Hist. 380 AdSt-LACAANAHis:Hist of Mexico
- PlSc. 325 Politics of Mexico and Central America
- PlSc. 326 Government and Politics of South America
- Span. 314 Contemporary Latin American Civilizations
Span. 326 Latin American Civilizations
Directed Study and/or courses about Latin America in Anth., Geog., Hist., PlSc. or Span., with the approval of the Coordinator.
No more than three courses from one department can be considered as fulfillment of the Latin American Studies program's basic and elective requirements.
- Students completing the minor are required to demonstrate competency in Spanish language through the intermediate 202-level.
- Students should consult with the Coordinator in selecting courses for the minor.