- African-American Literature
- American Visions: Graphic Novels
- Business Law I
- Inequality, Class, and Poverty
- Mass Media and Society
- Politics of Judicial Process
- Popular Music in America
- Race and Ethnicity
- US Foreign Policy
- Work and Workers in America
- George Eastman Museum
- Landmark Society of Western New York
- Livingston County Historical Society Museum
- New York Supreme Court
- University of Minnesota–Morris
Katherine Peter '21
Majors: American Studies, History
Minor: Political Science
Career: Peter is working on her master’s in public and applied history at American University.
American Studies Major
Why study American studies at Geneseo?
An interdisciplinary program, American studies offers a wide range of courses that develop the analytical, research, and communication skills necessary for success in a variety of fields. The major integrates materials, themes, and approaches from diverse areas of study, including history, literature, political science, sociology, communication, film and media, gender and sexuality, African American studies, and Native American studies. It allows students to explore transnational, cross-cultural, and comparative perspectives of the United States. Students get a broad grounding in the study of the United States as well as the flexibility to pursue their own intellectual interests and goals.
American studies is an excellent choice for students interested in graduate school. Programs in law, museum studies, library science, and other graduate fields desire well-rounded and capable applicants.
- Because of the major’s interdisciplinary approach to American culture, students have substantial flexibility in creating their own collegiate experience.
- Many of the college’s General Education requirements can be fulfilled while simultaneously completing the American studies minor.
- American studies can accommodate a double major and enhance proficiency in complementary disciplines, such as English, communication, history, and political science.
Example Career Fields
- Library Sciences
- Museum Management
- Social Activism
Recent Grad Schools
- American University
- University of Buffalo