Academic Accommodations Overview

SUNY Geneseo will coordinate reasonable accommodations and auxiliary aids and services for persons with disabilities in order to provide equal access to the learning environment. 

The Office of Accessibility reviews requests for reasonable accommodations on a case-by-base basis. Final determination of accommodations will be made by the Assistant Dean of Accessibility after engaging in an interactive process with the student, which includes an interview with the student and review of relevant documentation as requested. Academic accommodations may include:

  • Alternative testing (e.g., extended time, distraction-reduced environment)
  • Note taking assistance
  • Sign language or oral interpreting, and/or transcription services
  • Relocation of a class to an accessible location, and access to accessible furniture
  • Access to alternative format texts and other accessible course materials
  • Access to assistive technologies

Steps for Requesting Academic Accommodations, Aids, and Services 

Student and College Rights and Responsibilities

At the college level, students are responsible for self-identifying as a student with a disability in need of accommodations, auxiliary aids and services. Students are required to follow the Steps for Requesting Accommodations within a reasonable time frame to ensure that the Office of Accessibility Services has sufficient time to evaluate the request, determine the accommodation or aid, and identify sources for obtaining it (purchasing, leasing, hiring, etc.). Late requests cannot be guaranteed but will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and provided as possible under the circumstances. It is the student's responsibility to contact the Office of Accessibility Services if the student requires a change in their accommodation plan. Accommodation requests and supporting documentation are confidential information and will not be released without the individual's written consent. Please review FERPA policy for more information. Refer to the U.S. Department of Education website for more information on student rights and responsibilities within the college environment.

It is the responsibility of the College to provide the accommodation, aid, or service, or find a reasonable alternative that will allow the student full participation unless the request is determined to be unreasonable, is a fundamental alteration of the college program, or will impose an undue hardship on the College. Students must be able to meet the College’s qualifications and essential technical, academic, and institutional standards with reasonable accommodations, auxiliary aids, and services.

Visiting and Non-Matriculated Students

If you are a visiting, or non-matriculated student taking courses at Geneseo and are seeking accommodations, you must follow our Steps for Requesting Academic Accommodations, which includes completion of an Academic Accommodation Request Form, submission of relevant documentation, if available, and meeting with the Assistant Dean. 

Geneseo students who are approved for accommodations with the OAS and who are taking courses at another college need to request accommodations through the Disability/Accessibility Services Office of the host college. Please contact the OAS at to request copies of your records if needed, or if you require assistance connecting with the host college's Disability/Accessibility Services Office.