Information for Alumni
As a SUNY Geneseo graduate, you continue to have access to many career development services and programs. We offer support for your job search, career change, or life transition. We are here to help with resume and cover letter reviews, graduate school applications, networking opportunities, individualized counseling, and more.
Handshake has replaced KightJobs as our employment search software. If you graduated after 2018 and are having issues accessing Handshake please try:
- using a different browser AND
- if necessary try resetting your password.
Geneseo Alumni Career Panel
Yes, it is a challenging job market but there are opportunities and incredibly supportive alumni willing to assist. Watch this Career Panel to hear advice as it relates to specific industries and reach out to further connect with any of our panelists today (latest June 15th) via email to email@example.com or complete an appointment.
Best Practices in Contemporary Resume Writing
Regardless of your current employment situation, it is important to have an updated resume! This video session will review the essential components of a resume, effective guidelines, and contemporary recruitment strategies to create a resume that gets results. This session will be geared toward alumni with prior professional experience who are interested in a career change, those seeking promotional opportunities, or those who have been displaced and are currently looking for work.
Overview of Alumni Career Services
The Department of Career Development offers a wide range of services to alumni in need of career coaching or help with life transitions.
- List of Services
- Career exploration assistance
- Resume and cover letter review
- Interview preparation and practice
- Career and personal assessments
- Phone, email, and in-person support
- Networking assistance, programs, and events
- Where are my placement records?
Please consider giving of your time or expertise to help current Geneseo students gain knowledge about the world of work by engaging in one of the following:
- Recruit with us!
- If you would like to schedule a visit to campus to interview, contact our office at 585-245-5721 to set up a schedule. If you instead prefer to post a full-time or internship opportunity with us, you may do so through our job posting database, Handshake.
- Contact our office to schedule an on-campus Information Session about your company or business
- 4 Ways to Pay It Forward
- Participate in a student-alumni networking with Alumni Career Advisor Network. It is a free online platform that connects alumni with current students and other alumni for one-on-one conversations about careers, job search, networking, and more! View our Alumni Career Advisor Network-Student Guide for more detailed information.
- Participate in a student-alumni networking event such as the Career Connections Networking Reception (fall semester) or the Business Etiquette Dinner (spring semester)
- Donate gently used professional attire to Encore, our award winning business apparel boutique.
- There are two ways you can donate funds:
- Donate online: Complete the Geneseo Foundation's donation form. Write Career Development in the area for Special Allocation Instructions.
- Donate by Mail: Mail your check, payable to The Geneseo Foundation - Department of Career Development. Mail the form to The Geneseo Foundation, Erwin Hall, Room 11, 1 College Circle, Geneseo, NY 14454
By now, you know that job searching is all about being connected. Here are several resources to help you connect, build relationships, and gain inside information from other alumni.
- Get Connected!
Interfolio: The premier online placement file/portfolio management service is an easy and affordable way for a student to send materials to graduate and professional schools or prospective employers. Interfolio's online system allows you to build an online portfolio: a complete file of all your credentials. Documents stored in your online Interfolio account can include, but are not limited to:
- Documents Could Include
Confidential letters of recommendation Curriculum Vitae/Resumes Writing samples Dissertation abstracts Teaching portfolio documents Supervising teacher evals Student & peer evaluations Unofficial transcripts
Contact Career Development if you have questions.