Skip to main content
Congratulations Graduating Seniors!

Congratulations Graduating Seniors!

Graduation Records Office


Graduating students must notify the University that they intend to graduate through the Graduation Application process. Only students who complete this process are included in the degree certification; likewise, commencement event information is sent only to students who have filed a graduation application. 

Unless you are graduating at the end of the current semester, there is no deadline to submit the Graduation Application. However, the application is open at various times and needs to close for college administrative purposes before reopening again. Please see the Future Dates Calendar below for the next available open application period.

If you are graduating at the end of the current semester, please see the FAQs below for instructions on applying.



Office Mission

The Graduation Records Office provides quality, timely, and courteous service to students and their families, faculty, staff, alumni, and the public. These services include preservation of historical student academic records, upholding educational policies of the University, ensuring compliance with state and federal regulations, and conferring degrees for official graduation.


Office Vision

The Graduation Records office strives to serve the University and Geneseo community with integrity, equality, and the highest ethical principles of the Dean of Academic Planning and Advising Office. The Graduation Records Office aspires to be of professional standard recognized for its student-centered environment, outstanding customer service, efficiency, and accuracy.

On average, approximately 1200 students apply to graduate each academic year. That is a lot of the same questions to answer! The information on this page intends to answer the most common questions about timelines and the graduation processes. Read through each section and contact the Graduation Records Office (include G# in your correspondence) with specific questions not answered here.







STEP 1: Read the following thoroughly

Frequently Asked Questions  (FAQs)

Essential Terms to Understand (READ THESE CAREFULLY)


  • "To walk" during graduation means participating in the Geneseo Commencement Ceremony. The ceremony is a celebration of your success. It is not to be confused with the term "to graduate."
  • "To graduate" means you will have completed all requirements of your declared curriculum (major(s), minors, etc.) and earned a baccalaureate degree from the College at Geneseo.
  • Conferred means that a final degree audit is conducted and your transcript finalized.
  •  Diploma- serves as proof of your undergraduate degree (i.e., Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts)
  • Transcript- serves as proof of completing your major and degree requirements. (i.e., Communications, Biology, etc.) (Major(s), Minor(s), Concentration(s) will not appear on your printed diploma)
  • Requirement percentage-  In DegreeWorks, the Requirement percentage is calculated when credit requirements towards a major are earned. Meaning that DegreeWorks will not read 100% until final (earned) grades are submitted at the end of the semester.
  • Credit percentage- In DegreeWorks, the Credit Percentage indicates credits applied toward the degree requirements, including those "in-progress" (IP).
How do I know if I'm ready to graduate?

Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor early in the semester to review the 10-Item Checklist.

  • Undergraduates must have at least 120 credits and meet all degree requirements, including "Upper Level" and "Outside the Major" conditions.
  • Accounting Masters students: New York State Education Department (NYSED) requirements of 33 semester hours in Accounting, 36 hours in general business, and 150 hours overall.
  • MS Literacy B-12 Program: 36 credit hours
  • If a category appears incorrect on DegreeWorks, ask your advisor if a course waiver is appropriate to demonstrate how you met the requirement.
Am I eligible to submit a Graduation Application?


The Graduation Application is:

  1. Available in the "Student Records" section of your KnightWeb account during open application periods. Students are notified of open application periods and available terms via campus email.
  2. Available to:
    • Undergraduate students who have 90 or more institutional credits on their transcript (not on DegreeWorks). Credits will appear when earned. Meaning, after final grade submission processes are complete.
    • Masters students who have 24 or more institutional credits on their transcript (not on DegreeWorks). Credits will appear when earned. Meaning, after final grade submission processes are complete.
  3. Available to students who have NOT applied previously.

NOTE: Any formal changes made to your major, minor, concentration, or degree will automatically update your previously submitted Graduation Application. There is no need to file a new application.

Questions regarding the application can be directed to the Graduation Office in the Academic Advising office, Erwin 106.


When I go to apply for graduation, it says "no curriculum available for graduation application." What does that mean?

One of two issues are present:

1) The Graduation Application period is closed.

2) You are not eligible to apply.

In either case, read the following two questions.

How do I know if I successfully submitted a Graduation Application?

Please be aware that the Graduation Application is neither accepted nor denied. It is the mechanism that notifies the university of your intentions to graduate.

Review your graduation application at your leisure by logging into your KnightWeb account. First, go to "Student," then "Student Records," then click on "Review my completed graduation application." If you do not see this option, then you did not complete the application.

What if I'm not eligible to apply for graduation when the graduation application is open?

Due to college deadlines and processes, the graduation application must close at some point but will reopen to complete the application at another time. Please check the future dates calendar to find the next open application period.

The Registrar's process for setting priority course registration is why the application must be closed and for the strict deadline. You will be notified via email at the beginning of each semester of when the application opens and the deadline for advanced registration submission.

NOTE: Exception to the deadline to instigate an earlier course registration is not permissible.

I graduate this semester. What if I missed the last available deadline to apply?

Before you read any further, did you check the calendar to determine if you missed the final date for this semester?

If you did indeed miss the final date for the current semester graduation, please email Graduation Records with the following information:


Graduation Term:

Name (as you would like it to appear on your diploma, ie, Sheldon Lee Cooper):



New, email address:

Address (to which diploma should be mailed):

Do you wish to participate in Commencement Ceremony?


Is there a commencement ceremony for every semester?

Regardless of the graduation term, there is only one commencement ceremony. It takes place at the end of the Spring term. All eligible students from Fall thru Summer of the current catalog year can participate. Attendance is encouraged but not mandatory. All students will receive their diplomas in the mail. 

Please see the commencement section below for additional information.

Will I get notified when my degree is conferred?

You deserve the pat on the back, and I would enjoy praising each of you individually, but that would take critical time away from completing the graduation process.

No news is good news. So, if you do not hear from the Graduation Records Office (via your Geneseo email) about your conferral, please accept my best wishes for a rewarding and successful future!

Continue to log in to KnightWeb for student status updates.

What if I'm not graduating when expected?

Whether you are graduating early or later than anticipated, you need to change your graduation date formally—email Graduation Records to request a change.

Note: All eligible students from Fall thru Summer of a term year can participate in the spring Commencement. Please see the Commencement section below.

How do I Drop/Add a major?

Please fill out the Change of Major form

Have a PDF version of the form filled out? You can also attach the PDF to the Google form and send it to us.

If you have any questions, please email

Why do I have to update my home email address?


Our contracted diploma vendor will be sending an email with information about when you can expect your diploma, as well as a tracking number for your shipment.

Additionally, the email will contain a link to a free validated e-diploma for you to print and use for business purposes.


How do I update my home email address?


1. Begin at, select "Login using G#/PIN"

2. Enter your G# (G00XXXXXX) and six-digit PIN, and log in

3. Select "Personal Information."

4. Select "Update E-mail Address(es)"

5. Select "Home E-mail" and Submit

Type of Email



6. Enter your email address and Submit

Home Email






How do I update my diploma mailing address or name?

Unfortunately, once you submit your graduation application, only the Graduation Records Office can update the submission."

Email Graduation Records with your:

1. G# (G00XXXXXX)

2. Clearly and concisely indicate the change that needs to be made

How long does it take to be "officially graduated"?


  • Student degrees are processed at the end of the semester after all campus-wide end-of-semester processes have concluded. So, for example, if the semester ends in December, it will be January before degree conferral begins.
  • Degree conferral is a manual process, meaning each student's degree is hand-reviewed and does not occur automatically with the push of a button. The method of awarding  1200 +|-  individual degrees can take 4-6 weeks to complete. You can check the status of your degree on your Academic Transcript or your student profile of your KnightWeb account.  Once your degree is conferred, your transcript will clearly state Degree Awarded.
When will I receive my printed diploma?

An off-campus vendor prints and send your diploma. It is sent via mail (USPS) to the address listed on your Graduation Application. It may take upward of 90 days after your degree is conferred to receive your diploma.

Effective Fall 2021, graduated students will receive an email (home email) with a tracking number and a link to a validated e-diploma for official use.

If you need to make other arrangements to receive your diploma, for example, an address change, you must request it by notifying the Graduation Records Office in writing immediately.

NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be further delays at the printer and USPS that SUNY Geneseo does not have control over.
Will my major and minor be printed on my diploma?

Effective December 2016, neither major(s) nor minor(s) are printed on the diploma because your diploma is proof of your degree, not your major. However, your official transcript will show your major/minor as well as your degree. Your transcript is the most important proof of degree and major requirement completion.

How can I get an official transcript?

Your transcript will always be your proof of completing your degree and major requirements. As previously explained, the diploma serves as proof of the degree. Therefore, your most timely course of action to obtaining degree proof is to request an official degree bearing transcript immediately. You can request an official transcript through the Registrar's office. It is essential to indicate that you want to "hold until you have been officially graduated." Otherwise, your transcript will be missing critical information.  For more information about transcripts, visit the Registrar's FAQ webpage.

Academic Calendar (Google)

All Campus Event Calendar


Connect on Social Media:  Facebook   Instagram 



TEACHER CERTIFICATION CANDIDATES (School of Education and Adol. Educ.)

Required Information for Recommendation


Once you have completed your certification application through TEACH, you must submit your online Google form application information, along with a $10 processing fee, and upload the screenshot to the Graduation Records Office. When you submit the online Google form, a confirmation page will appear with the link to pay the processing fee.

The one-time, $10.00 fee covers the processing of Recommendations to the NYSED system and is separate from the $50 fee paid to NYSED to complete each certification. Please submit your payment and TEACH documentation online.

The application information can be found by returning to TEACH Home and selecting Account Information under the Inquiry Links heading. The Account Information page will bring up a menu box to select Certificates and then Go. Print the screen from your browser (How-to) and submit using the online form. Please include your G# and graduation term (i.e., May 2020).

The Graduation Officer will not process your Recommendation without receipt of the application information and processing fee. 

Required TEACH information #1 includes the section titled Person Information. This section lists applicants' identifiers, which is vital to ensure recommendations are issued to the correct applicant.

Review of personal information graphic


Required TEACH information #2 includes the section titled Applications. This section is a listing of each credential completed. This information is necessary to issue Recommendations for each certification requested.

Credentials detailed graphic


Early Commencement Participation

Students completing a fall semester Student-Teacher Certification after completing all other requirements, and who wish to participate in an early May Commencement ceremony are eligible to complete an Commencement Participation Exception Request seeking approval to "walk" in commencement early. 

Students graduating in December can participate in either the May Commencement ceremonies before or after their December graduation date, but not both.  Apply to graduate in December and answer 'Yes' to the question asking if you wish to participate in Commencement Ceremonies.


The College Recommendation is submitted after your formal degree conferral.  Additionally, the Graduation Officer cannot submit the Recommendation unless your TEACH certification application information and processing fee are filed with the Graduation Records Office.

Your transcript will always be your proof of completing your degree requirements. If you require verification before your degree conferral, your most timely course of action is to request an official degree-bearing transcript without delay. You can request an official transcript through the Registrar's office. It is essential to indicate that you want to "hold for degree." Otherwise, your transcript will be missing the necessary information you need for verification. For more information about transcripts, visit the Registrar's FAQ webpage. Students with urgent transcript requests have degree conferment priority. Conferment will begin as soon as grading and all end-of-semester processes are complete.

If NYSED certification completion is necessary before your degree is conferred, you can obtain completed certification evidence on TEACH to provide to your employer.


View the Teacher Certification Application Instructions webpage 

TEACH Online Services is available to you 24/7 to enter your application and check the status of your application.

TEACHHELP Technical support is available by telephone Monday-Friday 8:00 am -4:00 pm at (518)486-6041 or 24/7 via email. Unfortunately, these venues are only able to support technical assistance as you access TEACH Online Services.

NYSED has recently modified the TEACH application pages. Please notify the Graduation Records Office if you encounter issues with these instructions or any difficulty with your application.


What is the difference between Commencement and Graduation?

Commencement - The ceremony is held at the end of each Spring term to recognize degree and certificate achievement. All students who apply for graduation are eligible and encouraged to participate in the ceremony. However, participation in the annual Commencement ceremony does not indicate the completion of your degree or certificate.

Graduation - The official awarding of a degree or certificate to a student's records after all degree requirements and proficiencies are manually audited and verified completed, otherwise known as degree conferral. Students must apply for graduation to earn their degree or certificate.


Where do I get my graduation cap, gown, and accessories?

Early in the spring, the bookstore will email specific instructions about ordering your graduation regalia. For more information, read the cap, gown, and accessories webpage.

Who can "Walk" during commencement

All potential graduates are allowed to attend the commencement ceremony; provided you:

  • You have not previously had your name listed in a Geneseo Commencement Program
  • You have not participated in an earlier Geneseo Commencement ceremony for the degree you are earning
Signing Up


Students must complete the Graduation Application by April 1 to be eligible to receive tickets for their guests at the spring Commencement ceremony and to have their name included in the Commencement Program. Students must also indicate on their application if they wish to attend (or not attend) the Commencement ceremony so the College Bookstore and the Scheduling, Events, and Conference Services can make the necessary arrangements.


Receiving Honors

Students who have earned the required GPA for Latin Honors and earned at least 45 credits at Geneseo by the start of the spring semester will receive an Honors Tassel at commencement. Please view the Commencement Website for policies related to graduation honors for undergraduate students.

STEP 2: Complete the Graduation Application 


General Deadlines: Fall semester-Second Sunday in December, Intersession-Second Sunday in January, Spring semester- First Sunday in March, Summer Session-Second Sunday in August


Michelle Margeson, Graduation Records Officer
Michelle Margeson
Department of Academic Planning and Advising

Graduation Records Officer

Erwin 106C
Safe Zone