Mental Health Quick Resource List

For ALL emergencies (health/mental health), call 585-245-5222 (University Police), 911, or 988 (Suicide & Crisis Lifeline).

Additional resources can be found at

Counseling Services Resources
Online Mental Health Screening Program
Workshops and Group Support
Other On-Campus Support Resources
Peer-to-Peer Student Support Services
  • Geneseo Pathways
    peer advocacy support from peer advocates who are trained student volunteers; available 8 pm-8 am Sundays-Thursdays (when SUNY Geneseo classes are in session)
    CALL 585-237-8860 or EMAIL
  • SUNY Albany Middle Earth
    a peer-to-peer assistance hotline that is student-staffed via SUNY Albany's Middle Earth program; available for all SUNY students Sunday-Fridays, 1pm-midnight, and all day Saturday (when SUNY Albany classes are in session)
    CALL 518-442-5777 or EMAIL
  • Geneseo SEX(Ed) 
    a peer led sexual health education program that works to provide SUNY Geneseo students with inclusive information about all things relating to sex – safer sex, contraception, HIV/STIs, body positivity, communication and consent, and pleasure.
    EMAIL Dr. Amy Braksmajer, Dept of Sociology, at for more info.
SUNY Mental Health Resources

Visit SUNY Mental Health (Mental Health is Health) for additional details on the resources listed below.

  • SUNY Crisis Text Line - a 24/7 service
    TEXT GOT5U or any message to 741-741
  • Peer-to-Peer Assistance Hotline - a secure student-staffed hotline via SUNY Albany's Middle Earth program; available when classes are in Mondays-Fridays and Sundays, 1pm-midnight
    CALL 518-442-5777 or EMAIL
  • QPR Training (Question, Persuade, Refer) - a 1-hour training modeled on CPR, designed to recognize a suicide crisis and connect someone to appropriate care
    TRAIN for free using SUNY as the organization code,
Local Geneseo-Area Resources
Local and National Hotlines (24/7 where noted)
  • 988 Suicide & Crisis Life Lifeline (24/7) - call or text 9-8-8
    800-273-8255 (TALK)
  • Crisis Text Line (24/7)
    Text GOT5U (or anything) to 741-741
  • 211 (24/7) - call 2-1-1
    local general support (housing, food, financial, etc.) and referral number
  • The Trevor Project (24/7)
    Text START to 678-678
    trained counselors assist with challenges faced by LGBTQ people
  • Red Nacional de Prevención del Suicidio (24/7)
  • SAMHSA’s National Helpline (24/7)
    for general mental health and substance use issues
  • Disaster Distress Helpline (24/7)
    provided via SAMHSA; for those experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters
  • RAINN National Sexual Assault Hotline (24/7)
  • Veterans Crisis Line (24/7)
    800-273-8255; press 1
    Text 838-255
  • Trans Lifeline
    877-565-8860 (US)
    877-330-6366 (Canada)
    as of 8/1/21, hours were 5 pm - 10 pm, 7 days a week
  • NY Hope Project/COVID Emotional Support Hotline
    8 am - 10 pm, 7 days a week
SUNY Geneseo Wellbeing Resources
Student Basic Need Resources

If you are facing food insecurity, displacement, an emergency, crisis, or health-related or medical expense, you are not alone. The Depart of Student Life offers a list of Resources for Student Basic Needs and can provide additional assistance.


Treat yourself with compassion by incorporating some of the ideas below.

  • Routines—Structure Your Days
    Create set study hours | Schedule down time | Create a.m. & p.m. rituals
  • Eat & Sleep —Nourish Yourself Physically
    Prioritize fueling your body | Choose nutrient-dense foods | Drink water | Establish a pre-sleep wind-down
  • Play—Allow Time for Fun
    Make time for things you enjoy | Give yourself permission not to work | Honor and protect your down time
  • Embody—Cultivate Well-Being
    Observe with your senses | Move your body daily | Get outside/be in nature
  • Connect—Engage with Others 
    Reach out to others in your circle | Seek support from trusted adults | Spend time with others who lift you up | Avoid isolation
  • Talk/Text —Ask for Help
    Meet with your professors | Ask for extra help when you need it | Consider speaking to a professional counselor or other staff