Educational Benefits for Veterans
Educational benefits for military veterans and their dependents.
Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill
More info: Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill ®
- Provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.
- Receive a tuition and fee payment of 40% - 100% paid directly to SUNY Geneseo
- A monthly housing allowance (view current rates).
- A books and supplies stipend of up to $1000 per year
- Qualify if you have active duty service after September 10, 2001.
- Transferable to spouse and dependents.
Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Selected Reserve
More info: Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
- Provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.
- Receive monthly payment based on enrollment (full time, three quarter time, half time…).Click here to see current rates.
Chapter 35 - Survivor' and Dependents' Educational Assistance
More info: Chapter 35 – Survivor’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA)
- Provides up to 45 months of education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.
- Dependent (student) must be between the ages of 18 and 26.
- To apply, obtain and complete VA Form 22-5490, Dependents Application for VA Education Benefits.
- Receive monthly payment based on enrollment (full time, three quarter time, half time…). View current rates.
Note to Visitors
The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal military and/or VA educational benefits. To view and print a copy of an estimated personalized cost of attendance you can visit the SUNY Net Price Cost Calculator and select "Geneseo" from the dropdown. Additional financial information can be found at the NCES College Navigator site.
The SUNY Financial Aid Plan (FAP) will provide a more in-depth analysis and accurate picture of student cost once the student has filed their FAFSA, completed a SUNY application, and has been accepted by a campus.