For the past 140 years, Greek organizations have played a prominent role at SUNY Geneseo. The first fraternities and sororities appeared in Geneseo in the 1870s and were originally formed as literary societies. They were formed to provide a place for social interaction and learning of the classics.
Today fraternity and sorority members share in service, scholastic, social, athletic, and leadership experiences. On a yearly basis Greeks participate in numerous service events to give back to their community, including the Day of Caring, Relay for Life, a canned food drive, and numerous other service projects within every organization.
The Inter-Greek Council was established in 1915 to provide a governing body for the Greek organizations at that time. The original members were Delphic, Phi Kappa Pi, Phi Alpha, Agonian, and Arethusa. To join IGC, a Greek letter organization must petition for membership and apply for College recognition.
According to our constitution "The vision of the Inter Greek Council of the State University of New York College at Geneseo is to celebrate life-long fraternal and sororal bonds while continuing to grow through academics, campus involvement, community service, leadership and social engagements; while further recognizing the responsibility of each member and member organization to serve as role models and promote these opportunities to the College community to further its development."