- Analytical Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Anticancer Therapeutic Biochemistry
- Bioinorganic Chemistry
- Chemistry of Materials & Nanoscience
- Science of Cannabis
- Solid State Chemistry
- Bausch & Lomb, Rochester, NY
- Justus-Liebig-Universität, Giessen, Germany
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Tarrytown, NY
Research Experiences for Undergrads (REUs)
- Northwestern University
- University of Pennsylvania
Andy Robinson '99
Major: Chemical Engineering Five-Year, 3+2
Career: Robinson is the winemaker at Seghesio Family Vineyards in Sonoma County, CA. After decades in the field, he knows his career is stronger for being based on a foundation of chemistry. “You learn the basics better, and I have always found that once you have the basics, the rest is more on-the-job training.”
Why study chemistry at Geneseo?
Chemists use atoms and molecules—the stuff that makes up all matter in the universe—and learn the science and art of transforming them to help solve critical 21st-century challenges.
From pharmaceuticals and human health to green chemistry and sustainability efforts to next-generation materials that enable breakthrough technologies, studying chemistry prepares students to make a difference in their world.
Geneseo’s chemistry department provides hands-on learning with state-of-the-art facilities, undergraduate research opportunities with faculty mentors who are experts in their fields, and accessible instructors committed to helping students achieve their goals.
- BA in Chemistry
- BS in Chemistry (ACS-certified)
- BA in Chemistry, Adolescence Education
- BA in Chemical Engineering Five-Year, 3+2
- BA in Geochemistry
- BS in Biochemistry
- BS in Neuroscience
- Minor in Chemistry
- Certification in Adolescence Education: Chemistry and General Science (7–12)
- Concentration in Natural Science with Childhood Education with Special Education (1–6)
- Concentration in Natural Science with Early Childhood/Childhood Education (B–6)
- Microcredential in Science Communication
- Edgar Fellows Honors Program
- More than 90% of undergraduates participate in research, including structured, formal research opportunities beginning in students’ first year.
- The chemistry department is a health-professions powerhouse, boasting a 92% medical school acceptance rate for applicants with national average MCAT and GPA scores.
- Geneseo is a national leader at preparing students for graduate school success, including a top 10 ranking among undergraduate colleges in the US at producing chemistry PhDs.
Example Career Fields
- Biotechnology—manipulating living organisms to design or enhance vaccines, medicines, energy efficiency, or food safety
- Process Chemistry—turning previously discovered compounds into commercial products; developing synthetic routes that are safe, cost-effective, environmentally friendly, and efficient
- Research & Development—developing useful products that meet a specific need while factoring in business considerations
- Forensic Chemistry—analyzing physical evidence and samples for clues to solve crimes; applying analytical techniques to evidence and meticulously documenting each step
- Health and Safety—making workplaces safe, both for people and the environment