The Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Overview of the FAFSA
All students, prospective freshman, transfers, continuing or graduate, need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal student aid, including federal grants and loans. The FAFSA application is changing for 2024-25. As a result, the application will not be available until December 2023. The exact date is not yet available.
As you complete the FAFSA, be sure to:
- List SUNY Geneseo's Title IV School Code, 002845.
- Provide income from the prior, prior year (2022 for the 2024-25 academic year).
- File by the recommended deadlines: January 15 for early-action students, February 1st for general admission students and returning students.
- Sign the FAFSA with your FSA ID & Password (Your parent has to sign too, if you are a dependent student.)
- If you need assistance, review the resources provided here or through Federal Student Aid Help.
Since some campus-based aid, like Federal SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant) and Federal Work-Study, have limited funding, these awards are made on a first-come/first-serve basis. So, the earlier you file your FAFSA, the greater the likelihood that you will be considered.