Department of Music
SUNY Geneseo Music and Musical Theatre auditions will be in video and online format for this year. Please contact Tammy Farrell at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply or get information regarding GENESEO MUSIC or GENESEO MUSICAL THEATRE - PROSPECTIVE STUDENT AUDITIONS
At Geneseo, musical opportunities abound!
The Department of Music welcomes all students, no matter what your major:
- Consider joining one of our many instrumental or choral ensembles
- Audition for one of our musical theatre productions
- Consider taking lessons on your instrument or voice
- At Geneseo, we offer private instrumental lessons as well as group voice classes for non-majors
- Audition for the music major
- At Geneseo, we offer majors and minors in all instruments, including piano, classical guitar, classical voice, and musical theatre, plus concentrations in theory, history, ethnomusicology, composition and conducting
- Consider Music Education:
- At Geneseo, we offer an exciting partnership with the Eastman School of Music which prepares our graduates for the Master of Arts with professional certification at the Eastman School of Music
I invite you to consider being a part of MUSIC at GENESEO. Read on to learn more. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Gerard Floriano, Chair, Department of Music
Degree Programs: Music and Musical Theatre
The Department of Music offers two different degree programs including a BA in Music with focuses in Music Performance and Musicology/HTCC (History, Theory, Criticism and Composition)—and a BA in Musical Theatre, as well as three academic minors in Music, Musical Theatre, and Piano Pedagogy. The Department of Music also enjoys a cooperative agreement with the Eastman School of Music, preparing selected students for entrance into Eastman's MA in Music Education with professional certification.
In addition, the Department of Music serves as an important center for cultural life on campus and the surrounding community, presenting over 60 concerts and events each year, including musical theatre productions, symphony orchestra concerts, degree recitals, and faculty and guest artist performances. All members of the Geneseo community are welcome to participate in any of our department ensembles ranging from several choral ensembles to orchestra and wind ensemble, to a jazz ensemble, and the string band.
The Department of Music believes strongly in the public value of an education in the arts, its vital contributions to the public good, and its capacity to contribute to the quality of life of each individual. The formal study of music helps students develop the tools, discipline, and foundations necessary for a life in the arts whether as music professionals or as highly-skilled lifelong practitioners, while also promoting the value of technique, collaboration, and inherited practice to all forms of creative expression.
Geneseo's Music Department launches new preparatory degree program with Eastman School of Music. Read more about the Music Education Advisement Track.