Department of Music & Musical Theatre
Music Performance • Musical Theatre • Music Education • Jazz & American Music • Music Production • Conducting • Musicology
About our Programs
The Department of Music and Musical Theatre at Geneseo offers a range of academic programs that provide extensive preprofessional musical training within the setting of a rich liberal arts curriculum. Committed to the values of liberal learning, our programs foster the development of musical technique and achievement in a welcoming environment while promoting critical inquiry and historical reflection for the advancement of ethical social change. Please read about the Department's commitment to racial justice here.
The department offers a redesigned Music BA with options for specialized focus in Music Performance; Music Education; Jazz and American Music; Music Production; Conducting; and Musicology. The department also enjoys a cooperative agreement with the Eastman School of Music, preparing selected students for entrance into Eastman's MA in Music Education with professional certification. The Department also offers a BA in Musical Theatre as well as Bachelor's of Professional Studies in Musical Theatre, allowing students to pursue extensive preprofessional training while also benefiting from Geneseo's rich academic offerings.
Ways to Get Involved
The Department welcomes all members of the Geneseo community, regardless of major, to participate in our department ensembles and events ranging from choral ensembles, to orchestra and wind ensemble, jazz ensemble, and the Geneseo String Band. We present over 60 concerts and events each year, including musical theatre productions, symphony orchestra concerts, degree recitals, as well as faculty and guest artist performances.
- Explore ways to get involved...
- Join one of our many instrumental or choral ensembles
- Audition for one of our musical theatre productions
- Attend a concert or event
- Take lessons on your instrument or voice (we offer private instrumental lessons and group voice classes for non-majors)
- Audition for the Music major (we offer majors and minors in all instruments, including piano, classical guitar, classical voice, and musical theatre, plus concentrations in theory, history, ethnomusicology, composition and conducting)
- Consider Music Education (we have an exciting partnership with the Eastman School of Music which prepares our graduates for the Master of Arts with professional certification at the Eastman School of Music)