Student Resources

Commuter and Off-Campus Student Resources


Many Geneseo landlords or students list available rental units or rooms on the electronic listing, The Housing Registry. You must have a Geneseo email address to register for this free service. Additionally, some landlords advertise in the local Penny Saver newspaper and the Geneseo student newspaper, The Lamron. If you do live in a near-by off campus apartment and have questions about housing conditions, landlords, tenants rights, etc., stop by the office of Fraternal Life and Off Campus Services, College Union 344 (585-245-5968). The office is coordinated by the Associate Dean of Students, Ms. Wendi Kinney. The office website can be found here.


Get your parking sticker before classes begin. Buy your parking decal at University Police Parking Services, in Schrader 19 (585-245-5651). You'll need to show your vehicle registration when you hand in the parking registration form and fee. The parking vehicle registration form can also be downloaded online so you can avoid lines by mailing in your form with a stamped self-addressed envelope.

Parking Lots

Make sure to park in lots marked for students. There are three primary commuter lots on campus: Lot T, which stretches between College Drive and Mary Jemison Drive just south of the Clark Service Building, Lot I, in front of the Merritt Athletic Center on College Drive, and Lot U on the south side of campus off Mary Jemison Drive. You can catch the free RTS bus (just show your ID to the driver) to the MacVittie Student Union from the U Lot bus stop, or simply walk over to campus.

UP will ticket your car if you park in a faculty/staff lot or if you don't pay a meter. Some faculty/staff lots are open to students after 4:30 pm. Village Police will ticket you for parking at an expired meter or at a spot that requires a Village Parking Permit.

Parking on campus is challenging because of the limited number of spaces available to both students and staff. Although campus construction continues to this day, Geneseo had its last great building spurt in the 1960's, a time when owning a car was a luxury for most college students and many faculty members lived within walking distance of campus. In a 2004 poll of off-campus students, their greatest concern was the difficulty of parking in order to get to class on time. Give yourself extra time in the morning. No parking lots are directly adjacent to any academic buildings and you will need to walk up the hill to get to class. If you qualify for a handicapped parking sticker, contact the University Police Parking Services for alternative parking information.

The Village of Geneseo (Clerk's office 119 Main St.) sells Village Parking Permits (new permits must be bought each June and December/January). There are a limited number of permits and no guarantee of spaces. The permit will allow you to park in the Village Municipal Lot (accessed off Main St.) or the marked spaces at the top of University Avenue.

Child Care

Unfortunately there is no on campus childcare program. The Arc of Livingston-Wyoming KidStart primary center is located at 5871 Groveland Station Road in Mt. Morris, NY (585-658-4024). See regional phone book listings for other child care centers, or request a referral from the Child Care Council


Whether or not you use another email service provider, you must check your Geneseo email regularly to receive official College notifications and information from professors.

Image of SUNY Geneseo with many flags from different  countries in the background.
Clubs and Organizations

 All clubs and organizations are open to all Geneseo students, regardless of living on or off campus. Geneseo has over 200 recognized student organizations related to academics, club sports & recreation, communications, cultural groups, governing/programming, fraternity/sorority, music, volunteer/community service, religion, various special interests, and more. Getting involved is a great way to meet friends, learn something new, and make valuable connections in the Geneseo college community. Student organization resources can be accessed here

Spending time on campus between classes

 Many students head for Milne Library between classes where, in addition to checking out books, you can also borrow a laptop, make photocopies, get an appointment to discuss a research topic with a librarian, or eat at the Books and Bytes café. The MacVittie College Union is another place on campus with plenty of space to spend time, especially at the Corner Pocket or Starbucks Coffee. The CU's services can be seen here.

Eating on or off campus

If you don't bring your lunch, you may pay cash to eat at any of the campus dining facilities or snack bars. Additionally, through Campus Auxiliary Services you can set up a Campus Cash Account on your Geneseo ID card that will enable you to make purchases from campus dining facilities, such as Dash, the convenience store at Saratoga Commons, vending machines, and several off-campus restaurants without worrying about having enough change for your purchase. Off-campus students can buy one of four off-campus meal plan options through CAS.  Stop in to the office in Blake A, Room 108 or call 585-245-5666 for more information. The Village of Geneseo also has a ton of places to eat, from fast food to fine dining. You can access a complete list here.


 All full-time matriculated undergraduate students have mailboxes on the lower level of the MacVittie College Union, whether they are residential or live off-campus. The CU mail facility will also provide postal services to members of the campus community. Be sure to stop by and check your campus mailbox for information sent you by the College. It is particularly important for commuting students to remember that campus offices will get in touch with them through their Union mailbox. All information pertaining to SUNY Geneseo's Mail Services can be seen here.