The Department of Career Development offers several workshops and services for faculty to better help their students with their personal career development. Faculty members are in a unique position to advise and make recommendations to students regarding internships, graduate school, and post-graduate employment. Faculty Directors overseeing academic internships have access to the Online Internship Form in KnightJobs. KnightJobs allows you to manage your roster of student interns, review student learning contracts, and access end of the semester evaluations.
If you are new to KnightJobs, contact Career Development to have a faculty account established. Training on the system is also available.
The Department of Career Development staff is available to present a career-related topic to your class, club, or organization. Students of any level can benefit from gaining an understanding of the steps necessary to implement tentative career plans for life after Geneseo. Please keep in mind that many of these topics are available through GOLD workshops hosted by Career Development.
Posting jobs and internships
Handshake takes the place of KnightJobs for posting on and off-campus jobs and internships. Faculty and staff who regularly post positions for their departments already have a Handshake account. If you need an account or are unsure if your account is activated, contact the Department of Career Development.
Useful Handshake Tutorials:
To enhance our services to students and faculty, we provide a variety of resources that are just a click away!
Career Presentations & Workshops: Career-related presentations and workshops for your classes, clubs, or organizations. Guidelines for scheduling a presentation or workshop and the Online Request Form.
Faculty Reference Letter Guide: General guidelines for writing letters of recommendations for students.
Encore: Looking to give back? Consider donating your gently used professional business attire to Encore, SUNY Geneseo's newly award-winning career closet.
Career Library Resources: Click through these resources for major-related career tips, and also browse our 300+ hard copy book collection located in Erwin 116.
Hire Student Workers: Geneseo's Student Employment Services can assist you in hiring student workers. Please also post job descriptions and applications on KnightJobs.
Enhancing the Career Development Process
Preparing students for life after Geneseo is a top priority for faculty and staff. Consider the following suggestions that can improve the career development of our students.
- Be aware of the full range of services we offer and feel welcome to refer your students to us for assistance in any career-related matters.
- Reinforce to your advisees the value of addressing career concerns early in the college experience.
- Encourage students to develop out-of-class experiences to enhance their skills and investigate different career options (GOLD Program, academic clubs, internships, directed studies, etc.).
- Not all classes lend themselves to specific careers, but when appropriate, consider allocating a portion of your syllabus to class projects or assignments that would foster career exploration.
- When possible, provide students an opportunity to help you with your research.
- Have you done off-campus consulting work? If so, encourage your clients to consider Geneseo graduates for entry-level opportunities. Also, if you are aware of employers hiring, help them to contact Career Development to take advantage of KnightJobs postings and on-campus recruiting opportunities.
- Bring students along with you to regional and national meetings, introduce them to your colleagues, and help them learn how to network.
- Take every opportunity you can to inform graduate and professional schools of Geneseo's competitive environment.