SUNY Geneseo's Process to Change Your First Name

What is the process to change my first name with Geneseo?

Students should fill out the change your first name form to submit their chosen name to the Registrar's Office. A chosen name is one that you choose to be called that is different from your legal first name.

This process allows non-legal changes to be made to first names (it's not applicable to last name changes). If you have legally changed your name, you should instead submit a Personal Data Change Request along with documentation to have this reflected across college systems.

What is the purpose of this process?

SUNY Geneseo recognizes that some students wish to use a first name other than their legal name in their day-to-day life. As long as the use of this chosen name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation, to avoid legal obligation, or a use of a highly offensive or derogatory name, the College acknowledges that a chosen name can and should be used where possible in the course of college education, business, and communication.

The College extends this accommodation in order to help foster a more welcoming, supportive and respectful campus climate for all of its students.

Who uses this process?

In the past, this process has been used by students who use a nickname, prefer to be called their middle name, international students, and transgender and nonbinary students. This process may be used by any student who would benefit from it.

In this policy, only the student can modify their own name.

How do I change my chosen first name?

Students who wish to add a chosen first name or change an existing chosen first name should submit the change your first name form.

If I change my name, where will my chosen name be used?

The College will use the chosen first name for Brightspace, Microsoft Teams, EAB Navigate, Knightweb, Canvas, the online directory, class rosters, mid-term evaluations, final grade submissions, advisee listings, the student transcript search page, myGeneseo, Google Gmail, PointNClick, DegreeWorks, faculty grade entry, student registration, student profile, etc.

Students who have legally changed their name must contact the Registrar’s Office.

Where will my legal name/official name of record be used?

Official transcripts, enrollment verifications, diplomas, third party database systems, paychecks, medical records, financial aid documents, federal immigration documents, all external communications, such as hometown newspapers (dean’s list announcements, etc.), or any other College business requiring legal needs will continue to use your legal name/official name of record. The College will attempt to display chosen first names to the College community where feasible and make a good faith effort to update reports, documents, and systems accordingly.

What about my ID card?

New students can request that their first ID card show their chosen name. The chosen  name will appear on the front of the card, while the “official name of record” will appear on the back. Students who fill out the change your first name form can contact CAS to request that a new ID card with their chosen name be issued. There may be a $20 reissue fee charged for new cards.

What do I do if my legal name is used in a place where my chosen name should be?

Contact the Assistant Director of Multicultural Affairs for LGBTQ+ Life: Charlotte Wade,

Complete form to change your first name with Geneseo