You and your team have 24 hours to write, shoot, edit and post a 3-minute video... GO! Your team will compete for prizes against other SUNY Geneseo students in an attempt to incorporate three elements (from a list provided by the GIFF Overlords) into the most witty, interesting, and compelling video. This is a chance for students of all talents to flex their creative muscles and demonstrate a variety of skills, whether they be writers, actors, videographers, or editors. Rally the troops and get started!
Geneseo Insomnia Film Festival
- Someone experiencing regrets #WhatHaveIDone
- Someone doing a handstand #ShowOff
- Someone who speaks only in Pig latin #IgpayAtinlay
- Action-packed, martial arts fight sequence with cheesy sound effects #KungfuFighting
- A long take of at least 90 seconds (example from Touch of Evil) #LongTake
- A person that thinks they are the college’s mascot #MascotMadness
- A scene shot or acted in slow motion #SloMo
- Two people enjoying a hot beverage together #TeaForTwo
- A puppet that offers advice... nothing but terrible advice. #PuppetMaster
- A scene making use of a Dutch Angle #UneasyAngle
- Entire story told from end to beginning #BackwardsDay
- Someone studying noisily #NoisyTimes
- A whip pan transition #IWhipMyPanBackAndForth
- A clock running backwards #TimeMachine
- A close up of a coin landing heads up #TossACoin
- A park bench #TakeALoadOff
- Someone who communicates only through musical instrument(s) #UniversalLanguage
- Someone who LOVES campus food #CASsBiggestFan
- Someone wearing a Hawaiian shirt #Aloha
- Either a Low Angle Shot #WormsEyeView OR a High Angle Shot #BirdsEyeView (only counts once even if both are used)
The details at a glance
January 1stRegistration Opens
March 11thSpring Break Begins
March 18thSpring Break Ends
March 20thRegistrants Past this Point Will Not Receive T-Shirts
March 22ndPre-Event Meeting (Drop in South 345 between 3:00-5PM)
March 24thGIFF Begins (5PM)5:00 PM
March 25thGIFF Ends! (5PM)5:00 PM
April 26thGREAT Day Awards Ceremony6:00PM, Wadsworth Auditorium
|First Place||$400 Amazon Gift Cards|
|Second Place||$300 Amazon Gift Cards|
|Third Place||$200 Geneseo Bookstore Gift Cards|
Video submissions will be judged by a panel of five SUNY Geneseo Faculty and Staff. Each judge will use a subjective zero to five scale in each of the following categories:
- Impact: Did the judges laugh? Did they cry? Did it make them think?
- Cinematography: Was the the video visually compelling?
- Story: How well written, thought-out and portrayed is the story being told using the elements provided?
- Gestalt: How did the totality of the video strike the individual judge?
2018 Award Winners
|In Person||Come Visit the GIFF HQ in South 225A|