- Peninsular and Latin American Civilizations
- Transatlantic Hispanic Cultures and Readings
- Written and Oral Expression
- Bilingualism in the Hispanic World
- Communication and Culture in Spain
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Language Field School in Afro-Hispanic Societies
- Latin American Civilizations
- Peninsular Literature
- Spanish for the Professions
- Women in the Hispanic Literary Tradition
- Costa Rica study abroad
- Cultures Learning TOGETHER, Inc.
- Peru/Ecuador study abroad
Karen Caswell ’21
Majors: Spanish, Communication (Intercultural Communication)
Minors: Latin American Studies, Linguistics
Career: Caswell is in Monterey, CA, pursuing a master’s degree in the Middlebury Institute for International Studies’ translation and interpretation Spanish-English program.
Why study Spanish at Geneseo?
Spanish is the most common non-English language spoken in the US and the second-most spoken globally, making a broad awareness of Hispanic cultures and heritages valuable for almost any career path.
At Geneseo, students of Spanish have an opportunity to go beyond the study of language skills to real-world applications through community service-oriented programs and internships. Our Spanish program offers a variety of dynamic civilization, linguistic, and professions courses to complement language and cultural knowledge acquisition. Double majors are common with many disciplines.
Faculty encourage students to take advantage of study abroad opportunities, directed studies, classroom assistant experiences, academic conferences, and cultural events organized by our active Spanish Club. Geneseo’s graduates in Spanish are well prepared to pursue a variety of careers or further their education.
- Director of Study Abroad or Global Programs
- Editor, Multimedia Journalist, PR Professional
- Foreign Service Member
- Government Worker or Official
- Medical Professional
- Migrant/bilingual Educator
- NGO Worker or Official
- School Administrator
- Teacher or Professor
- Translator or Interpreter
- US or International Lawyer
- Camerican International
- Homeland Security, Colorado Division
- Hover, Inc.
- Movable Ink
- Multipure International
- NYU Langone Health
- Quit Genius
- SUNY Cortland Research Foundation
- Team Cymru, Inc.
- Vermont Energy Investment Corporation
Recent Grad Schools
- American University in Cairo
- Binghamton University
- Indiana University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Middlebury Institute for International Studies, Monterey, CA
- SUNY Buffalo
- Texas State University
- The Graduate Center, CUNY
- Tulane University
- University of Florida
- University of Illinois College of Medicine
- University of Pittsburgh
Lori Bernard, Associate Professor
Welles Hall 211
Languages and Literatures Faculty