Combining a strong traditional mathematics major with opportunities for student research, a very successful secondary education program, and preparation in applied mathematics and statistics, the Department of Mathematics is committed to helping each Geneseo student achieve their goals, both before and after Geneseo. Follow us on LinkedIn.
Welcome from the Chair and virtual tour of the Department.
Recent News and Events
- Information for Math Majors and students visiting the Math Department
- Students should not treat a hybrid or face-to-face course as a fully online course without the explicit written approval of the instructor.
- Students should communicate with faculty if they have questions, concerns, trouble with coming to class or connecting to the internet, if they become sick, etc. Communication is key.
- Students should follow the new COVID protocols. See the College's Fall 2020 FAQ.
- Consult the Fall 2020 Academic Calendar for up-to-date calendar information.
- The mail/copier room (South 331) and copier room (South 304) in the Math Department will be off-limits to students. If students need to leave a hard copy of a document for a faculty member they should make arrangements with the faculty member, deliver it electronically, or if they must, put in under the door to their office.
- The Math main office will not always be open or staffed. Students may contact Dr. Haddad at x-5475 (messages left will be converted to emails) or firstname.lastname@example.org, or the department Secretary Linda Cicero at x-5384 or email@example.com
- The Math Learning Center (MLC) will be virtual and appointments must be made.
- The Math lounge will be off-limits to students in order to reduce the risk for COVID spread.
Virtual Mathematics Colloquium: Gilbert Strang
The Mathematics Department at SUNY Geneseo is pleased to announce our first ever Virtual Mathematics Colloquium! The colloquium will be held Tuesday, Oct 13 from 4-5 pm and our invited guest is Professor Gilbert Strang from MIT. Professor Strang will speak on column-row matrix factorizations. All are welcome to join! See registration details.
James Canning Receives 2020 Chancellor's Award for Excellence
Canning graduated with BS in Applied Mathematics and a minor in physics and was also enrolled in the Honors Program. Canning worked for a year with a non-government organization in Nicaragua and has volunteered with the Bill Cook Foundation in Asia and South America. Canning has multiple research experiences, including with the Department of Defense, where he will work after graduation while pursuing a doctorate in mathematics. Congrats James!
Congrats to the 2020 Class!
Congratulations to the 2020 Geneseo Mathematics Class for graduating during a difficult last semester. We hope you will take with you fond memories of Geneseo and rest assured you will be missed by all the math faculty.
Natalie Schurman (2020) and Brittany Sullivan (2020) attended the 22nd Annual Nebraska Conference for Undergraduate Women in Mathematics. A focus of NCUWM is to encourage and mentor undergraduate women to pursue graduate study in mathematics and seek mathematical careers. Natalie made a poster presentation and Brittany gave a talk on their research performed in the 2019 summer on spectral graph theory.
Fall 2019 MAA Seaway Meeting
Geneseo Math students and faculty attended the fall 2019 MAA Seaway Section meeting in Ithaca, NY. Student presentations were given by Eric Piato, Molly Marshall, and Matthew Ficarra, and faculty presentations were given by Sedar Ngoma, Ahmad Almomani, Doug Baldwin, and Cesar Aguilar.