Combining a strong traditional mathematics major with opportunities for student research, a very successful secondary education program, and preparation in applied mathematics and statistics, the Department of Mathematics is committed to helping each Geneseo student achieve their goals, both before and after Geneseo. Follow us on LinkedIn.
Welcome from the Chair and virtual tour of the Department.
Recent News and Events
- Information for Math Majors and students visiting the Math Department
- Students should not treat a hybrid or face-to-face course as a fully online course without the explicit written approval of the instructor.
- Students should communicate with faculty if they have questions, concerns, trouble with coming to class or connecting to the internet, if they become sick, etc. Communication is key.
- Students should follow the new COVID protocols. See the College's Fall 2020 FAQ.
- Consult the Fall 2020 Academic Calendar for up-to-date calendar information.
- The mail/copier room (South 331) and copier room (South 304) in the Math Department will be off-limits to students. If students need to leave a hard copy of a document for a faculty member they should make arrangements with the faculty member, deliver it electronically, or if they must, put in under the door to their office.
- The Math main office will not always be open or staffed. Students may contact Dr. Haddad at x-5475 (messages left will be converted to emails) or email@example.com, or the department Secretary Linda Cicero at x-5384 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Math Learning Center (MLC) will be virtual and appointments must be made.
- The Math lounge will be off-limits to students in order to reduce the risk for COVID spread.
2020-2021 Math Senior Spotlight
Congratulations to the 2020-2021 Geneseo Mathematics Seniors! These math seniors have worked incredibly hard these past few years and are all destined to do great things. PRISM put together a slideshow to highlight everyone’s accomplishments and what their next step after Geneseo will be. Congrats again seniors!
Cesar Aguilar receives Outstanding Reviewer award from the IEEE
Cesar Aguilar, Associate Professor of Mathematics, received a Certificate of Outstanding Service as Reviewer of the IEEE Control Systems Letters for 2020. The Editorial Board of the IEEE Control Systems Letters recognizes every year a small, selected group of referees who they believe have done a truly outstanding job reviewing papers submitted to the journal. The recognition indicates a high degree of commitment to the IEEE's professional community and a clear evidence of one's high level of technical ability in the field.
Virtual Mathematics Colloquium: Gilbert Strang
The Mathematics Department at SUNY Geneseo is pleased to announce our first ever Virtual Mathematics Colloquium! The colloquium will be held Tuesday, Oct 13 from 4-5 pm and our invited guest is Professor Gilbert Strang from MIT. Professor Strang will speak on column-row matrix factorizations. All are welcome to join! See registration details.