Housing Accommodation Requests

General considerations:

In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (as amended in 2008), SUNY Geneseo will provide equal access to the campus living environment for students with documented disabilities. The Office of Accessibility will engage in an interactive process with students to determine reasonable accommodations in the Residence Halls. 

The Office of Accessibility (OAS) collaborates with the Office of Residential Life to coordinate accessible campus housing for students with disabilities that impact one’s living situation. When requesting housing accommodations, applicants are expected to have already applied for Geneseo college housing and have met all eligibility requirements and payment deadlines.

More information on Accessibility in the Residence Halls can be found on the Office of Residential Life website.

Requesting Housing Accommodations

To request housing accommodations, students must follow the OAS steps for requesting housing accommodations. This includes submission of a Housing Accommodation Request Form which is completed by the student and a qualified mental health or medical treatment provider who has an established relationship with the student and can attest to the student’s current functioning in the college environment. The student will also participate in an interactive discussion with the Assistant Dean regarding the request. Letters from treatment providers will not be accepted unless approved by the Assistant Dean. Students do not make housing accommodation requests or send documentation to the Office of Residence Life.  

The Office of Accessibility may require additional documentation from a medical or mental health provider, to provide sufficient information for Geneseo to determine: 

  1. That the individual qualifies as a person with a disability (i.e., has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities); and 
  2. That the housing accommodation requested is necessary to afford the person with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy Residential living.

Housing Accommodation Requests should be submitted by the relevant deadline if the student is requesting for the following academic semester.  This is to provide reasonable notice to the Office of Residential Life for making housing modifications and other arrangements:

  1.  Returning students = April 1 (or per the Residential License Agreement Form deadline)
  2. New Incoming Students = June 1 (or per the Residential Life housing application deadline)
  3. Spring admits = December 1 

Mid-semester requests for housing accommodations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The College cannot guarantee it will be able to meet the accommodation needs the same semester in which the request is received. 

Release of Housing Requests

Students requesting a temporary or permanent release of their housing contract for disability-related reasons are required to submit a Housing Accommodation Request Form per the same guidelines and deadlines listed in the previous section. 

Releases of housing requests reviewed on a case-by-case basis of ensuring equal access at Geneseo, rather than preference (e.g., roommate concerns, wanting to live off-campus with peers). A Release of housing will only be approved if the College is unable to accommodate the student in on-campus housing. The OAS may offer alternative accommodations within on-campus housing to meet the student’s needs.

Process for Determining Reasonable Accommodations

If the documentation shows that a private room or other room modification is a necessary method of meeting the housing needs of a student with a disability, SUNY Geneseo will consider exceptions to its general room rate structure unless doing so would result in a fundamental alteration to the housing program, impose an undue financial and/or administrative burden, or poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others, including university property. Requests are reviewed on the basis of ensuring access to the campus living environment rather than preference or ensuring success (e.g., private study space).

Requests are processed within approximately 15 business days after a meeting with the Assistant Dean of Accessibility. If it is determined that the housing accommodation request is reasonable and necessary to ensure access to the campus living environment, the student will be notified via their Geneseo email. The Office of Residence Life will work with the student on logistics of the implementation of the accommodations. If it is determined that the accommodation request was unreasonable, or if the documentation and information was insufficient in establishing a disability-related need for the accommodation in order to ensure access at the university, the student will be notified of the decision via their Geneseo email. The Office of Accessibility Services will work with the student in identifying an alternate accommodation or arrangement with Residence Life that may meet the student’s needs and preferences.

Process for Appealing Determinations

Students reserve the right to file internal and external appeals or grievances. Please refer to the Office of Accessibility web page on Appeals or Grievances. Students may contact the Office of Accessibility Services with questions regarding the Housing Accommodations Policy via email at access@geneseo.edu, or calling 585-245-5091.