Geneseo Actuarial Science Club
An actuary is a business professional who deals with the measurement and management of risk and uncertainty.
Actuaries Are Experts In:
- Evaluating the likelihood of future events.
- Designing creative ways to reduce the likelihood of undesirable events.
- Decreasing the impact of undesirable events that do occur.
"We're key players on the management team of companies that deal with risk. In a fast-changing world, with emerging risks and the need for more creative ways to tackle them, there are constant opportunities for personal and professional growth.
We are the analytical backbone of our society's financial security programs. We are the brains behind the financial safeguards in our personal lives, so we can go about our day without worrying too much about what the future may hold for us." 1
Why Become an Actuary
- Top-Ranked. Actuary has consistently been rated one of the top jobs in the United States.
- Head start. Actuaries earn great starting salaries that can double within the first five years.
- Job security. Actuaries enjoy certainty in uncertain times. We're always in demand as the world confronts risk.
- Impressive impact. Actuaries participate in high-level business decision-making and solve real problems in every industry.
- Life in balance. More than a fulfilling career, being an actuary allows you to maintain a low-stress, highly sought-after work/life balance.
1. Beanactuary.org, (2014). What Do We Do? | Be an Actuary. [online] Available at: http://www.beanactuary.org/what/do/?fa=what-do-we-do [24 Oct. 2014].