In addition to the links listed below, you can find many valuable links on various topics of interest to state employees by going to New York State Self-Help Resources.
General Mental Health
- American Psychological Association (APA)--The APA web site offers much useful information in their Consumer Help Center, including sections on Psychology at Work as well as Family Relationships.
- National Institute of Mental Health--This government resource provides public education materials on depression, anxiety, and other psychological issues.
- Screening for Mental Health, Inc--This national program sponsors different mental health screening days throughout the year. The screenings take place at various sites located throughout the region; you can locate the site nearest you through the web page.
- Tree of Hope Rochester NY
Grief, Bereavement, and Loss
- Police Survivors--Includes information and resources for survivors of police tragedies.
- HelpGuide.org - Coping with Grief and Loss
- Coping with Grief: A Printable Guide (PDF)
- Helping Others through Grief: Printable Infographic (PDF)
- Dealing with Unexpected or Traumatic Loss
Depression and Suicide
- Dealing With Depression-- Information more specific to depression, including treatment options.
- Dr. David Burns' Feeling Good Site--Dr. Burns is a nationally renowned psychiatrist, and he has created a web site based on his popular self-help book Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy. His page includes an "Ask the Guru" section where Dr. Burns himself provides answers to questions raised by people who have visited the site.
- American Association of Suicidology-- This is an organization with the goal of understanding and preventing suicide; their site includes guidelines for someone in crisis, information on referrals, and listings of hotline numbers by state.
- Suicide Awareness\Voices of Education (SA\VE)--This informative site includes a question and answer section, a list of warning sides of suicide, book lists, and guidelines for coping with a suicide.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation --Provides extensive information on Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, including a self-test, a review of treatment options, and education about available medications.
- The Healing Connection -- Rochester, NY based Eating Disorder treatment center
- APA Eating Disorders--The site provides general information about eating disorders as well as specific tips for friends and family and a review of warning signs of eating disorders.
- National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders--On this site, you'll find suggestions on how to confront someone with an eating disorder, guidelines for accessing insurance for treatment, and lists of eating disorder hotline numbers.
Alcohol and Substance Abuse
- The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism--Provides answers to frequently asked questions about alcohol use, offers free publications, contains links to related resources, etc.
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence--Provides facts on alcohol use, educational information, free materials, information on prevention, referrals to local affiliates, etc.
- Children of Alcoholics Foundation--This page provides information on ACOA facts vs. fiction, guidelines for helping yourself or a friend, and suggestions for further reading.
- Alcoholics Anonymous--Home page for this national self-help group based on a 12-step program.
- Al-Anon and Alateen--These self-help groups are also based on the 12-step program but are designed for family and friends of alcoholics, including a specialized group for teens.
- Find A Substance Abuse Professional - SAPlist is a nationwide directory of Department of Transportation (DOT) Substance Abuse Professionals (SAPs).
- US Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration-- Publications, webcasts, videos, and information on alcohol awareness and prevention.
- HealthGate--This site provides reliable medical information on various topics and includes an online version of The New Our Bodies, Ourselves, a valuable book on women's health.
- Web MD