About the Small Business Development Center
The Geneseo area Small Business Development Center, with offices on the campus of SUNY Geneseo, and in Wyoming County, and in the South Wedge area of Rochester provides management and technical assistance to start-up and existing small business firms. The center is staffed by professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to provide expert counseling dealing with problems pertaining to the startup and operation of small businesses.
Administered by the State University of New York, the Geneseo SBDC specializes in providing one-on-one counseling for small business problems and offers training and instructional programs targeted to the needs and interests of small business people.
What We Do
Through one-on-one counseling the Small Business Development Center counselors work with existing and aspiring small business owners within the following core service areas:
- Feasibility Studies: an assessment of the individual's readiness and preparedness to start and support business enterprise.
- Needs Assessment: an analysis of the company's strengths and weaknesses and business opportunities.
- Structuring a Business: a review of the appropriate structure for the type of enterprise: sole proprietorship, partnership or corporation.
- Market Research and Market Planning: a thorough consideration of the company's existing and potential markets and a plan for moving products/services to those markets.
- Financial Analysis and Control: an evaluation of the company's past, present, or forecasted financial health and position.
- Cash Flow Analysis and Financial Projections: a critical study of cash flow processes and business operations forecasting.
- Debt and Equity Funding Development: a consideration of the company's financing requirements and opportunities.
- Valuation of Business: broad application of important tools to determine value when buying or selling a business.
- Strategic Planning: an extensive definition of the business owner's vision and methods for applying that vision to daily decision-making.
- Accounting Systems: relevant and simple recordkeeping systems for managing the business.
- Management Issues: a look at company policies and procedures, management style, human resource management and organization.
The Small Business Development Center counseling approach is one of guidance and education, not of completing the client's work for him or her. It's necessary that anyone requesting assistance must have a strong personal commitment to find and implement solutions to the issues facing that company.
We recommend that clients engage other resources and professionals, such as attorneys and accountants, when appropriate.