Alpha Kappa Delta Application
International Sociology Honor Society
Alpha Kappa Delta is the international sociology honor society. The society's purposes are to promote interest in the study of sociology and to use sociology to improve the human condition. Past members have presented their research papers at professional sociology meetings. The AKD also sponsors a local and a national paper competition every year.
Alpha Kappa Delta takes its name from the first letters of three Greek words: Anthropon, katamanthanein, and diakonesein.
katamanthanein: to investigate thoroughly
diakonesein: for the purpose of service
When translated freely, they express both the goal and the method of Alpha Kappa Delta.
Qualifications for membership:
1. Must be a declared sociology major or demonstrate a
serious interest in sociology within an official program of the host
2. Must be at least a junior by standards of the host
3. Must have accumulated the equivalent of an overall GPA of 3.3 (by a
four point scale where: A/4, B/3, C/2, D/1, F/0) and rank in the top 35%
of their class in general scholarship.
4. Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology
courses taken at the host institution prior to initiation.
5. Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior
to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail).