Kevin MilitelloProfessor of Biology
Dr. Kevin Militello has been a member of the Geneseo faculty since 2005.
- Monday 245-400
- Thursday 1000-1100
- Friday 945-1030
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard School of Public Health, 2000-2005
- Ph.D. in Microbiology, SUNY Buffalo, 2000
- B.S. in Biology, SUNY Buffalo, 1995
- Relationship between the modified DNA base 5-methylcytosine and gene transcription in several organisms
- Militello KT, JC Lazatin. 2017. Discovery of CRISPR sequences in an undergraduate laboratory. Biochem Mol Biol Ed. 45:262-269.
- Militello KT, RD Simon, AH Mandarano, A DiNatale, SM Hennick, JC Lazatin, and S. Cantatore. 2016. 5-azacytidine induces transcriptome changes in Escherichia coli via DNA methylation-dependent and DNA methylation-independent mechanisms. BMC Microbiol. 16:130.
- Militello KT, Chang MM, Simon RD and Lazatin JC. 2016. Blue Genes: An integrative laboratory to differentiate genetic transformation from gene mutation for underclassmen. Biochem Mol Biol Ed. 44:55-62.
- Militello KT, Chen L, Ackerman SE, Mandarano AH, and Valentine EL. 2014. A map of 5-methylcytosine residues in Trypanosoma brucei tRNA revealed by sodium bisulfite sequencing. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 193:122-126.
- Militello KT, Mandarano AH, Varechtchouk O, and Simon RD. 2013. Cytosine DNA methylation influences drug resistance in Escherichia coli through increased expression of SugE. FEMS Microbiology Letters. 350:100-106.
- Militello KT. 2013. Studying epigenetic DNA modifications in undergraduate laboratories using complementary bioinformatic and molecular approaches. Biochem Mol Biol Ed. 41:334-340.
- Militello KT, Simon RD, Qureshi M, Maines R, VanHorne ML, Hennick SM, Jayakar SK, Pounder S. 2012. Conservation of Dcm-mediated cytosine DNA methylation in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2012 328:78-85.
- Sims JS, KT Militello, PA Sims, VP Patel, JM Kasper, and DF Wirth. 2009. Patterns of gene-specific and total transcriptional activity during the Plasmodium falciparum intraerythrocytic development cycle. Eukaryotic Cell 8:327-338.
- Militello KT, P Wang, SK Jayakar, RL Pietrasik, CD Dupont, K Dodd, AM King, and PR Valenti. 2008. African trypanosomes contain 5-methylcytosine in nuclear DNA. Eukaryotic Cell 7:2012-2016.
- Militello KT, P Refour, CA Comeaux, MT Duraisingh. 2008. Antisense RNA and RNAi in protozoan parasites: Working hard or hardly working? Mol. Biochem. Parasitol. 157:117-126.
- Gunasekera AM, A Myrick, KT Militello, JS Sims, CK Dong, T Gierhan, K Le Roch, E Winzeler, and DF Wirth. 2007. Regulatory motifs uncovered among gene expression clusters in Plasmodium falciparum. Mol. Biochem. Parasitol. 153:19-30.
- Militello KT, V Patel, AD Chessler, JK Fisher, JM Kasper, AM Gunasekera, and DF Wirth. 2005. RNA polymerase II synthesizes antisense RNA in Plasmodium falciparum. RNA 11:365-370.
- Militello KT, M Dodge, L Bethke, and DF Wirth. 2004. Identification of regulatory elements in the Plasmodium falciparum genome. Mol. Biochem. Parasitol. 134:75-88.
- Ryan CM, KT Militello, and LK Read. 2003. Polyadenylation regulates the stability of Trypanosoma brucei mitochondrial RNAs. J. Biol. Chem. 278:32753-32762.
- Militello KT and DF Wirth. 2003. A new reporter gene for transient transfection of Plasmodium falciparum. Parasitol. Res. 89:154-157.
- Militello KT, ML Hayman, and LK Read. 2000. Transcriptional and post-transcriptional in organello labelling of Trypanosoma brucei mitochondrial RNA. Int. J. Parasitol. 30:643-647.
- Militello KT and LK Read. 2000. UTP-dependent and -independent pathways of mRNA turnover in Trypanosoma brucei mitochondria. Mol. Cell. Biol. 20:2308-2316.
- Han Y, YM Loo, KT Militello, and T Melendy. 1999. Interactions of the papovavirus DNA replication initiator proteins, bovine papillomavirus type I E1 and simian virus 40 large T antigen, with human replication protein A. J. Virol. 73:4899-4907.
- Militello KT and LK Read. 1999. Coordination of kRNA editing and polyadenylation in Trypanosoma brucei mitochondria: complete editing is not required for long poly(A) tract addition. Nucleic Acids Res. 27:1377-1385.
- Murphy ER, A Dickenson, KT Militello, and TD Connell. 1999. Genetic characterization of wild-type and mutant fur genes of Bordetella avium. Infect. Immun. 67:3160-3165.
- Read LK, KT Militello, and GE Nerantzakis. 1999. Cloning and characterisation of cDNA encoding the Trypanosoma brucei ribosomal protein L24. Int. J. Parasitol. 29:601-605.
- Connell TD, A Dickenson, AJ Martone, KT Militello, MJ Filiatraut, ML Hayman, and J Pitula. 1998. Iron starvation of Bordetella avium stimulates expression of five outer membrane proteins and regulates a gene involved in acquiring iron from serum. Infect. Immun. 66:3597-3605.
More About Me
- I usually have several undergraduate research students in my laboratory. Please contact me directly to determine if there are openings.
Infectious diseases (parasites and bacteria), modified DNA bases, epigenetics, genomics, gene expression, small RNAs
BIOL 128: Freshman Experience in Biology
This course is intended for students considering a major in Biology or Biochemistry. It is meant to engage students in their academic program and the college. The goals of the course are to give students a sense of community, provide help with study skills and introduce students to resources available at the college. This course is designed for freshmen. Other students may be able to enroll if space permits. Graded on S/U basis.
- BIOL 188: Exp:Skills for Intro Biology
BIOL 322: Molecular Biology
An advanced course dealing with genetic and regulatory mechanisms at the cell and molecular level. Students may receive Biology credit for this course or Biol 304, but not both. Prerequisites: Proficiency in Basic Requirement. BIOL 300, and (CHEM 300 or CHEM 302 or BIOL 335). Offered every fall