Fostering Inclusivity Through Dialogue
Cultivating Community is a series that draws on mindful dialogue and creative thinking as the tools through which we can learn, understand, connect and grow. The initiative affirms SUNY Geneseo’s value for inclusivity, which we define as “fostering a diverse campus community marked by mutual respect for the unique talents and contributions of each individual.”
Each dialogue provides participants with the opportunity to voice their experience on a specific topic, learn from others’ perspectives, share innovative ideas and explore new possibilities.
- Speak from the “I” perspective
- Avoid generalizations
- Be willing to ask important questions, even if difficult
- Be open to new perspectives and innovative possibilities
- Listen carefully
- Assume others have good intentions
- Allow participants to revise statements
- Honor confidentiality
- Agree to disagree and look for areas of common ground
- Consider conflict a potential catalyst for growth
- Wednesday, March 31, 2021 from 2:30-3:45pm
- Monday, May 3, 2021 from 2:30-3:45pm
- Wednesday, February 24, 2021: “In the aftermath of a bias-related incident at a public institution of higher education, how might campus officials effectively communicate with members of the college community?”
- Monday, September 21, 2020: What might antiracism mean for members of our community?
- Monday, November 2, 2020 How do we translate our definition of antiracism into a vision and plan?
- Wednesday, December 2, 2020: How might listening to students’ demands move us toward our goal of becoming an antiracist college by supporting and uplifting BIPOC students, faculty, and staff?
To participate asynchronously or to continue the conversation, join us on Canvas.
Student Facilitator Workshop
Interested in developing your facilitation skills? With strong facilitation skills, you can lead conversations that transform minds and propel positive social change. Attend this session to build foundational facilitation skills and then practice your new skills by co-facilitating dialogues at the Cultivating Community series.
Facilitator: robbie routenberg, chief diversity officer, Office of Diversity and Equity
- Future Dates: TBA
We'd appreciate your feedback! Please visit the links below to share your thoughts and suggestions.
Questions About the Series Contact:
Meredith Harrigan, professor of communication, and series co-coordinator
Phone: (585) 245-6331
robbie routenberg, chief diversity officer, and series co-coordinator
Phone: (585) 245-5020