NY-Alert Information for Students
Geneseo is committed to creating a safe environment for all students. In the aftermath of the Virginia Tech tragedy, we conducted a thorough review of available technologies designed to enhance timely communication with campus members in the event of an emergency.
We have taken one of the first action steps by joining other SUNY institutions as a member of NY-Alert, the New York State All-Hazards Alert and Notification web-based Portal created and maintained by the State Emergency Management Office.
NY-Alert is designed to send notifications through email, phone (traditional, voice-over-Internet protocol-12 or cell), text messaging (cell or pager) or fax in situations where your personal safety may be at risk (see examples below).
To keep you informed during a campus emergency, it is critical that you enter your preferred email, text messaging and phone numbers into the NY-Alert system. You also may provide contact information for other interested parties such as your parents.
Students can register for NY-Alert online. If you have any questions, please contact the CIT Help Desk at x5588.
Subscription to NY-Alert is free and, while highly encouraged, completely voluntary. This information will not be shared with any outside parties, nor will Geneseo use the system for any purpose other than a true emergency. Subscribers may elect to opt out at any point if they change their mind.
The NY-Alert system can be used when the following situations occur:
- Campus or public safety situations caused by bomb threats, civil disturbances, fire or hazardous materials
- Personal safety incidents (on/off campus) associated with weapons, violence, hostage-taking, active shooting, missing persons or perpetrator(s) at large
- Medical emergencies involving pandemic or mass casualties
- Utility failure, including gas, electrical or water
- Major road closings/incidents disrupting safe passage to and from campus
- Suspicious packages that would cause harm to people or property
- Severe weather and related consequences
The best way we can help ensure campus safety is through fast, effective notification. Please take a moment now to enroll in NY-Alert. Thank you.