Pi Mu Epsilon
Pi Mu Epsilon
Pi Mu Epsilon is a national mathematics honor society that was established in 1914. In 1989 the New York Alpha Delta Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon was established at SUNY Geneseo. The purpose of Pi Mu Epsilon is the promotion of scholarly activity in mathematics. Each year we induct our best students into this prestigious national honor society.
Each spring, the Pi Mu Epsilon faculty coordinator reviews the transcripts of current mathematics majors with sophomore standing, or above. Candidates must meet both internal standards of excellence and the nationally set criteria to be inducted.
For more information on the national organization go to: http://www.pme-math.org/
- Sophomores: Completed Math 221, Math 222, Math 223, Math 233, Math 239, and at least 6 credits of 300-level math courses with all A's or at most one A-.
- Juniors: Completed at least 9 credits of 300-level math courses with minimum Math GPA of 3.70 and minimum 300-level Math GPA of 3.60.
- Seniors: Completed at least 12 credits of 300-level math courses with minimum 300-level Math GPA of 3.60.
- All students must major in Mathematics and maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.0. Furthermore, eligible students must have contributed positively to the Mathematics community above and beyond the minimal degree requirements. Examples of contributions include math-related directed studies, math-related research, working in the Math Learning Center, attending math conferences or REUs, actively participating in PRISM, math colloquia, or other Math Department events, etc.
An induction ceremony and reception are held for inductees, members and their families each spring. If you are inducted, we encourage you to attend this ceremony so that we can celebrate your academic and mathematical achievements with you. A list of students who have been inducted into PME in previous years (since 2007) is below. Also, we like to invite special guest speakers to the induction ceremony each year, including a few graduating seniors and a Geneseo alumnus/alumna.
Alumni Guest Speakers
- 2022: Rachel Serpe (Class of 2013)
- 2019: Tom Fisher (Class of 2013)
- 2018: Malcolm Kotok (Class of 2011)
- 2017: Kaitlyn Gayvert (Class of 2012)
- 2016: Michael Bennett (Class of 2009)
- 2015: George Reuter (Class of 1996)
- 2014: Alison Bowen (Class of 2011)
- 2013: Arunima Ray (Class of 2009)
- 2013: Caitlin Lamoreaux (Class of 2011)
Pi Mu Epsilon Mathematics Competition Prize
To promote scholarly work in mathematics among our students, the Alpha Delta Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon offers a prize for our top scoring students on the annual William Lowell Putnam mathematics competition in the fall and other math competitions (University of Rochester Math Olympiad, SUNYMathics, etc.) A list of recent award recipients can be found here.
- First Place PME Putnam Prize: $75 award to the top scoring SUNY Geneseo student on the annual William Lowell Putnam mathematics competition. To be eligible the individual must receive a positive score. If no student is eligible, the award may be given for top performance in later mathematics competitions. In the event of a tie for first place, then those students will split the total first-second place prize amount of $125.
- Second Place PME Putnam Prize: $50 to the second highest scoring SUNY Geneseo student on the annual William Lowell Putnam mathematics competition. To be eligible the individual must receive a positive score. If no student is eligible, the award may be given for top performance in later mathematics competitions. In the event of a tie for second place, then those students will split the total second place prize amount of $50.
- First Place PME Mathematics Competition Prize: $75 award to the top scoring SUNY Geneseo student in other math competitions, such as the University of Rochester Math Olympiad or SUNYMathics. To be eligible the individual must receive a positive score. In the event of a tie for first place, then those students will split the prize amount of $75.
* - All prizes are contingent on the availability of funds.
Luis Yanez Zamora
Yi Liu Chen
Gena Driscoll Brantley
Members Inducted in 2017
Members Inducted in 2016
Kwan Ho Lee
Members Inducted in 2014
Members Inducted in 2013
Jian Cong Zeng
Members Inducted in 2012
Members Inducted in 2011
Members Inducted in 2010
Members Inducted in 2009
Members Inducted in 2008
Members Inducte;in 2007
Faculty in PME
Retired Faculty in PME