Become a Safe Zone Trainer
Are you passionate about LGBTQ issues? Do you want to develop your facilitation and leadership skills while making concrete contributions to making Geneseo a more welcoming and inclusive place? Want to get to know LGBTQ & ally faculty & staff and work alongside them?
Become a Safe Zone trainer
Dr. Alice Rutkowski (English/Women’s & Gender Studies) offers an academic course EVERY SPRING that teaches students the information and facilitation skills they need to feel prepared to facilitate Safe Zone workshops. WGST 232: Safe Zone Train-the-Trainer is a 2 credit course, T/R, 9:30-10:20 and students must apply for admission. The link to the student application is listed in Step 1 in this page below. The class is a mix of content (LGBTQ history, terminology, contemporary issues and problems) and training in public speaking, group facilitation and collaboration.
Scan to apply for the Spring 2023 Safe Zone Train the Trainer course!
requirements: students must have a demonstrated interest in (but don't have to identify as) LGBTQ issues; must be available the whole academic year for which they apply. Minimum qualifications for acceptance are listed below. Applications for the training program are open now.
Applications are available now and are due Wednesday, October 19, 2022 at 5 pm. No late applications can be considered. Accepted students will be given permission to register for the course by the instructor.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty, Staff, and Administration Trainers
All Faculty, Staff, and Administrative individuals who are interested in becoming a SUNY Geneseo Safe Zone trainer should directly contact Dr. Alice Rutkowski in person, by phone, or via email at email@example.com for more information.
Becoming a Student Safe Zone Trainer: Minimum Qualifications
- Successful completion of the online application including reference and transcript information (see below)
- Available to serve as a Safe Zone trainer the following semester (without skipping a semester to study abroad, etc.)
- An interest in LGBTQ+ issues
Scan the QR Code or Click the button below for the Spring 2023 Student Train the Trainer Application
Student Instructions for Applying Online to the Safe Zone Trainer program
Step 1: Complete all questions on the online application.
To access the online form, please click the button bar below.
Step 2: Submit an unofficial transcript *and* your reference information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Instructions for creating a pdf file of your transcript are below. In addition to attaching your transcript, the body of the email should list the names, titles, email, and phone numbers of two people who are willing to be contacted to answer a few questions about you. References are not required to write letters. At least one reference must be a current faculty or staff member at Geneseo (As the current Safe Zone coordinator, Dr. Rutkowski cannot serve as a reference for any applicants).
- In a separate window, go to Knightweb and login.
- Click the "Student" tab
- Click the "Student Records" tab
- Click "Academic Transcript" and select "All Levels" as the Transcript Level and "Web Transcript" as the Transcript Type
- Then press "Submit" to view your transcript
- Go to File and select "Print"
- Within the printing option, typically towards the top, find the "PDF Creator" icon or option and click
- Under the "Document Title" name the file YOURLASTNAMEtra.pdf and click "Save"
- Save it to your desktop
- Now that you have your transcript saved as a PDF file on your desktop, attach it to an email to submit along with your reference information
Students who successfully who are selected for the course will be enrolled for two credits of WGST 232 by permission of the instructor.
If you have additional questions about our program, please contact Dr. Rutkowski, Department of English: email@example.com